Wyoming white clownfish

Not sure how many people are big into designer clownfish, but the Lafayette LFS store has 4-5 of the Wyoming Whites on sale for $60, down from $100. That's the cheapest I've seen them go for. Though I'm not sure where they got them from.

Wyoming.jpg

Picture from akabryanhall

When the the Picasso's, etc were just being released I wasn't a big fan, but they have kind of grown on me now that I know more about the breeding process they go thru.

Does anyone have Picassos, Snowflakes, Blizzards, etc?

Ryan - How long have you had yours? Are the mouth/fins darkening up any?

This is my second one(the first one jumped due to what I'm guessing was an aggressive wrasse) and I've had him for appx 3 months. MIne is not exactly like the one pictured but has an orange spot outlined in black on the right side close to the dorsal fin. The mouth and fins were pretty light when I first got this one but have colored up very nice since. I really like the subtleties of the colors on these guys. I have mine paired with a midnight clown and at first they didn't seem to get along but now you can't separate them.

I know I am odd-- but I like regular ocellaris and black ocellaris-- not many other orange fish in the hobby.

I always like a rainbow of colors in my tanks..

simmons1.jpg

Although I'm disturbed by your picture...

I agree with liking the regular ones as well. The only clown in my display tank is a large 3 inch maroon clown that has dark coloring that I really like.

However, the "designer" ones are like artwork - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They have definitely grown on me. And I think the biggest reason is knowing that these designs happen frequently in the wild. The Wyoming White (and a lot of these other odd patterns) occurs naturally, although uncommon, in clutches of regular oscellaris pairs - just like misbars show up. There isn't any weird science going on...just weird Picasso paintings that turn up every once in a while. Now some of the hybrids are more into the science fiction/Mendelian side of things where we are mating a Pablo and a snowflake and getting another wild pattern.

Do any of you have major problems with aggressive show clowns? I'd love one but the last one I had literally jumped out of the tank to bite me. I felt bad bc I knew he was going to do it l, so I just put the tip of my finger in the tank and he flew out, hit the wall....and started wiggling on the floor. I had been trying to catch him for weeks!! He was a mean little guy!!!

Most clowns are at least slightly aggressive. They are damsel fish after all. Mine eat out of my hand which some people say is bad because they learn to bite at your hands that way but I started feeding them from hand because they were nipping at my hands anyway. I've never seen a clownfish not go after a hand, turkey baster, algae scrubber, or other fish that comes close to their established territory.

Do any of you have major problems with aggressive show clowns? I'd love one but the last one I had literally jumped out of the tank to bite me. I felt bad bc I knew he was going to do it l, so I just put the tip of my finger in the tank and he flew out, hit the wall....and started wiggling on the floor. I had been trying to catch him for weeks!! He was a mean little guy!!!

My large DT Maroon is actually fine with my hands in the tank, even when messing with heranemone. Odd, because anectdotal evidence would say she should be fairly aggressive. She is a least 5 years old, and as long as there aren't other small clownfish in the tank, she's a model citizen.

Now, Orlando's Purple Tang tries to slice me every time I try to move a frag. She's getting worse instead of better, I think she is starting to plan out her attacks, as she is getting closer and closer. Maybe I'm just getting slower...