Worst fear came true

kmay

Hello old friends. Haven't been on here much in the last year or so. Busy life and self sustaining tank! Well, I have lost everything. My power was out for four days. We have a generator and tank was plugged in, however, it wasn't enough. Our house was down in the 30s. I lost fish and corals that I had for over six years. I was so sad that my husband had to go in the house and remove fish before I saw tank. Anyway, I am back because I can't remember how to do anything except water changes (ha!) and filling top off water! I just paid via paypal for my membership and will be anxious to view the buy/sell forums!

I too am very sorry for your loss!

Did you try to power too many things with the generator?

It is a good idea to hang on to several extra heaters (any time I take apart a tank, I replace the heaters for safety) and maybe just power heaters and a pump to circulate the water. 30 degrees though? Wow that is pretty taxing. I am looking in to buying a generator too.

I may have corals to frag soon if you need any replacements.

Thanks again everybody! It is funny the life that I am seeing in the tank. A red thorny starfish, carpet anemones, duncans (maybe, fingers crossed), and a few other corals. I can see my Zoos, but they haven't opened back up yet. My plan is to do a ton of water changes and let things cycle through. I think I will take this opportunity to change my sump. I have always hated the limited space in it. It doesn't look like anyone has anything for sale in the buy/sell forums so any ideas? A forty breeder will not work under my stand. I currently have a 90 traditional 90 gallon tank and stand. Any other ideas on getting the tank up and running would be helpful.

Sorry for your troubles Kim, sounds like some things may recover. Willy also had a power outage and temps got down to 55 and 59 in his tanks and alot of his livestock seems to be recovering. Hopefully you'll have the same experience.

Look at the Eshopps sumps at Premium. They are well made and reasonably priced. I'm using the R-200 on my tank and I'm very happy with it.

I'm curious what element is most detrimental to life during a power outage: temperature, lack of flow or lack of light? The combination of all three is not good and i suppose duration of power outage is a factor. I remember having an outage about 10 years ago in the winter and things got cold indoors. I lit off a coleman propane lantern under the tank to keep things warm. I don't recall any losses but pobably not the safest thing to do.

I had a heater, (added another two days in), my return pump, and a power head and it wasn't enough. Our home was in the lower 30's for the last two days of the outage. I think I lost most of my livestock because of temperature. However, I know that flow is also important.