Diatom for Gas Bubble Disease in Seahorse?

JimD

Does anyone have any suggestions for treatment of pouch gas bubble disease in seahorse? Does anyone have a Diamox tablet I could purchase for seahorse? It's my understanding that's the best treatment. I have tried Erythromycin in quarantine for 7 days with no luck. Any other ideas? Been battling this for 6 weeks and any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

As per notes I took during a presentation by Dan Underwood (super great guy BTW!) he recommend Diamox at 250mg/10gal for 3-5 days. Not sure of a Diamox source. Maybe Dan's website - seahorsesource.com.

What is your experience with seahorses?

Diamox (acetazolamide) is a prescription med, so I suspect you'll have to get it from a vet or MD. It's used in treatment of glaucoma and high altitude diseases (acute mountain sickness, high altitude pulmonary edema, etc) in humans. I've never owned seahorses, so I have absolutely no knowledge of this disease in them other what I just read in the links above. Good luck, and I'd be curious to see how this works for you as I have been hoping to try seahorses in the near future.

I have got some in the past for treatment of a horse, it was from a seahorse lady who was a huge active breeder in indy, but that was 10 years ago and I have lost contact with her, no idea if she is still around. Might try posting on the premiumaquatics message board as that is where I met her...

Acetazolamide will treat the gas production. it will NOT treat the bacteria causing the gas production. it is a good route to go, but you will need a vet script to get it filled. 7 day treatment will most likely NOT suffice in my experience. more like 3 weeks. but if you do not also treat the bacterial infection, there is very little point.

Thanks everyone for the information. I quarantined the seahorse and added Erythromycin (purchased at PetSmart specifically for marine tanks) to water everyday and did 25% water changes each day then added the Erythromycin. Meanwhile I kept pushing the gas bubbles out of his pouch each day. Did this for 10 days and horse seems to be hitching and not bloating. I put him back in his tank and he seems to be able to function properly so far. He's been in his own tank for two weeks and looks well. Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.