A Different Approach to Removing Phosphates

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some of those singed polyester 7x16" socks from the ebay dealer and noticed that the rings seem to be wire. Are these the same ones that you have, Dustin? Do you know if they are coated or have a chance of leaching metal in the tank?

I bought some of those singed polyester 7x16" socks from the ebay dealer and noticed that the rings seem to be wire. Are these the same ones that you have, Dustin? Do you know if they are coated or have a chance of leaching metal in the tank?

Sorry for late reply, been in Vegas! The socks I use are from a biodiesel maker and have titanium rings in them. Out of about 100 that I've used I had a couple that started to rust a bit and threw out. I've used the same socks for over a year now and only had to throw out the couple.

• 4 months later...

I ordered the pool cleaner and made a reactor for the socks. I was ready to start dosing when I tested my phosphates...0 ppm! I think my algae is consuming them all. I have a large amount of bryopsis in the frag tank and chaeto in the sump. No visible growth in the display tank. Any thoughts? I'm using a hanna to check- tested it 3 times and am confident I performed the test correctly.

-Lucas

If your hanna tells you zero I wouldn't be dosing any pool cleaner : ) Sounds like your tank has matured or your macro is consuming your phos. That is a good thing! Now you want your hanna to show you some phos as you don't want them at zero.

Should I just start feeding heavy? I was spot feeding Brightwell reef snow, but noticed my montis looked a little burnt (white) where it settled on them, so I backed off with the feeding.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

When I first started this tank I used LaCl for the first 4-6mths but after the tank started to mature the phosphates started depleting without the use of LaCl. I assumed this would happen and it is just one less thing to have to worry about. If i go have my phos creep up at any point this is always a go to method in decreasing them, although its probably pushing a year since i've dosed LaCl at this point.

Dustin do you think you'll ever be off the stuff or having such a large system you'll always need LaCl?