My 75g Rebuild

gallery_560_301_139759.jpg

I like center, and right side. At a different angle the left side looks really good to me, but from this picture I'm not totally sold and might change it up a little. In fact, I'm almost 99.9% certain I'm changing the left, but by looking at this picture, it's just a few minor adjustments... but should make a huge difference. Bed time though, so I'm done playing for now.

gallery_560_301_21568.jpg

Slightly better picture, not as over exposed. Played with my phone a bit, sports/action setting worked out pretty well. Still not diggin' the left side; definitely changing it it up tonight. I actually thought I was going to be taking rock out of this tank, but it looks like I might be able to keep most of it in there.

Looking good. That rock will grow in nicely. Are you planning to epoxy so that it stays in place?

Thanks, looking forward to seeing it come back to life. No epoxy, none of the structures felt as if they needed it. Most of mine is pretty branchy, and it tends to interlock pretty well. I've seen some interesting articles (including the ones above) where people will drill their rocks and use PVC or some other non-corrosive/tank safe material to hold things together. When I upgrade my tank, I might do something like that.

I'm envious already as I hate my rock but stuck now as a 55 doesn't give you much room to deal with an a troublesome BTA that wont move no matter what I do has screwed me every time I try something different.

Have you tried using ice on its foot? That's how I got one of my old split bta's off the rock.

Some people say this isn't the best method. Can't agree or disagree. It worked for me, and worked relatively quickly. The rock he was attached to was worth more than he was, imho. In my best robocop voice... dead or alive, he's coming with me.

Never tried that. I turned rock around to deny him light his just stayed there and stretched even further. I blasted him with jets and he just sucked into the rock. Its a nice pice of coral rock and I want to flip it and rotate it but then he stays at back of tank and wont move. I finally gave up and rotated it back around. Out witted by a hunk of jello........

• Like 1

Never tried that. I turned rock around to deny him light his just stayed there and stretched even further. I blasted him with jets and he just sucked into the rock. Its a nice pice of coral rock and I want to flip it and rotate it but then he stays at back of tank and wont move. I finally gave up and rotated it back around. Out witted by a hunk of jello........

Do the ice and "massage" the foot. One good tear of the foot and he could be a gonner:(

Looks good. Because the way you have your rock built up I keep thinking that it looks like a volcano and keeps reminding me of one of those unique tanks I always think of. Not trying to go off topic but here it is. He has a pump pump water up to top of it.

IMG_8217.JPG

Looks good. Because the way you have your rock built up I keep thinking that it looks like a volcano and keeps reminding me of one of those unique tanks I always think of. Not trying to go off topic but here it is. He has a pump pump water up to top of it.

IMG_8217.JPG

Wow, that gives me an idea for the dining room. I agree with Blackacid, it's awesome!

Finally... the cycle has begun! Getting some solid ammonia readings now, along with some nitrites. The shrimp bits I had used were pretty much completely gone from the media bag. I also had some fish flake samples that came with the new tanks, and added some of that. Pretty stoked to finally see this stuff taking off.

One other exciting tidbit... I found algae growing on the side of my tank. Faint, but definitely there. A little concern too, I had a terrible hair algae problem before I got out of the hobby for a bit. Makes me anxious just a bit... Should I back off on the lights or just let it run its course?

Just let it run it's course. Brown diatoms, green algae, and red cyanobacteria are all part of the maturation process in the tank. For the future, just keep your nutrients (Nitrates/Phosphates) under control and algae is of no concern. Certain algae can even thrive under low nutrient conditions but the key there is preventing them from making it to the DT. (Close inspection of new frags with magnifying glass, QT, dip, etc) Glad to hear things are moving along!

Thanks. I was hoping I was just being a little paranoid. :)

Since I've started off with mostly dry rock and sand... Do you think I should hold off on water changes for now, or do you think a 10% change weekly would be good? My goal was to try and stick with a 10% WC weekly. However, I was also thinking of doing something more along the lines of 25% WC once the cycle has stabilized. Trying to determine when/how much water I should have on hand. I've got a larger heavy duty rubbermaid container that I'm planning to use for a mixing station. I think it'll hold 20g of water no problem.

I guess I'll need to start thinking about my clean up crew soon. Reef Cleaners looks like a good spot for that, any other suggestions? I was thinking mostly snails to start, and plan to add to it later. I enjoyed having hermits in the old tank, probably do some again this time around too.

I expect everyone has their own methodology.

I usually wait until I see my tests register Nitrates and phosphates and then do water change. Another indicator is when the macro-algaes begin to grow rapidly, no testing needed. ;) My water changes are usually 20% of total water between the DT and sump minus rock and sand displacement. This means with my current bioload is about every 3-4 weeks.

Would agree with waiting on Ns/Ps. Water changes can all depend on many variables. (Bioload, trying to bring Alk/Ca, etc.) 10% a week is a good number to start off with, just ensure once you add livestock that you buffer it so it's the same alk/calcium when doing changes.

BA. Bloomington Fish Gallery stated he would meet RC price on cleaner crews plus he is local and you don't run the risk I did and get a bunch of dead snails due to the extreme heat we have going on. RC was super working with me on refund but in the mean time I'm still traumatized from the smell (haha just kidding)

• Like 1

BA. Bloomington Fish Gallery stated he would meet RC price on cleaner crews plus he is local and you don't run the risk I did and get a bunch of dead snails due to the extreme heat we have going on. RC was super working with me on refund but in the mean time I'm still traumatized from the smell (haha just kidding)

Good to know, I'll need some stuff in a month or so. BTW I have family in that area and could probably get them to bring stuff up here since they come to indy just about every single weekend.