Apex Controller Connection

I have an Ethernet connection to the controller. The indicators say I'm connected to an unknown network but when I launch the interface I get a "can't connect" error.

Ill try again before I cry mercy. Thanks Shane and Dustin.

Ok I'm stumped. Directions say plug into controller then other set say plug into router. Going to try a router but I should be able to telnet directly into the stupid thing. On top of dealing with the controller set up issue Ive got a puffer that looks like a snake pelling. One more freakin thing to deal with .......

Ok I'm stumped. Directions say plug into controller then other set say plug into router. Going to try a router but I should be able to telnet directly into the stupid thing. On top of dealing with the controller set up issue Ive got a puffer that looks like a snake pelling. One more freakin thing to deal with .......

You will need to plug the base unit ethernet into a router and then you can use your IP to log in

If I remember right the default is 192.168.0.50:80

I have a wireless home network and I cant hard wired right now. I'll like the wifi extender option you posted Shane. I guess what my problem has been is that I'm trying to connect directly to the apex controller thru my LAN port. I should be able to do that with no issue but I can't get them to talk. My router is two rooms away so wireless will be ideal for now until I get some CAT6 ran from the network hub to where my tank is currently at.

Dustin I just can't understand why I can't telnet to the box by plugging directly into the controller?

No I have an ethernet cable running from my cpu LAN ethernet port to the controller. It should work with a telnet connection (old hyperterminal for example) and its not working. I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow ( i have $20 credit) and will use it to get the connection to see if it helps. I would like to get it up and running before I leave for springbreak as I can help my sitter make the proper adjustments as I can monitor it as well.

Sorry, just looking back at this. Sounds like your problem is you're using a straight through network cable to connect to the Apex by connecting straight from your NIC to the Apex. To do this, you'd have to use a crossover cable (For connecting two like devices. i.e. Apex to Computer, Switch to Switch, etc). Easier option would be for you to use your cable you already have and plug it into your "Router" (It's really a switch that you'd use for this but won't go there ^_^ ).

To answer Doug's questions, Telnet does not require crossover but if you're connecting two like devices then that cable is req'd.

I was getting up conflicts so I changed them as I wasn't on a WAN so I couldn't figure out why I couldn't just plug in and go. I'm getting a wireless switch today so ill get them working. I might as well get everything set up properly and get the lights mounted this week since the supply is going out on my marineland. I'm going to check with them this week as well about getting a replacement.

Got controller running. Now just need to get it mounted and start reading directions. I had it hooked up on the floor and messing with it but lights only pulsed. I just started but not sure if the lights should be hooked up to the aquabuse or not so just disconnected everything and will mount the controller and the buds. Right now I don't know where to mount it. It says above the tank but my wife will kill me if I mount it on wall. I probably should punch a hole in wall and mount it in garage but then what? I take a picture and post it and get feedback from you guys.

I have mine under my stand up high and screwed to a board. If you do not have the room, The garage would be a good spot. To plug in just plug in your EB8 and then run an aquabus cable from the EB8 to the main module. Then the ethernet cable from the lights to the Vari ports on the main module, and plug the three cords into your EB8. I did Moonlights to 1-5.... Blues 2-6.... Whites 3-6... also left to right the plugs are moon, blue, white. Here is just a guide line to set up profiles and VAR ports.

Profiles to set up

Name WH_RampU

Type Ramp

Ramp Time 120

Start 10

End 60

Name WH_RampD

Type Ramp

Ramp Time 120

Start 60

End 0

Name WH_Mid

Type Ramp

Ramp Time 0

Start 60

End 60

Name BL_RampU

Type Ramp

Ramp Time 120

Start 20

End 70

Name BL_RampD

Type Ramp

Ramp Time 120

Start 70

End 0

Name BL_Mid

Type Ramp

Ramp Time 0

Start 70

End 70

Then set your Var settings

VAR1

BL_Var1

Control Type Advanced

Set OFF
If Time 08:00 to 10:00 Then BL_RampU
If Time 10:00 to 18:00 Then BL_MID
If Time 18:00 to 20:00 Then BL_RampD

VAR2

WH_Var2

Control Type Advanced

Set OFF
If Time 10:00 to 12:00 Then WH_RampU
If Time 12:00 to 17:00 Then WH_MID
If Time 17:00 to 19:00 Then WH_RampD

If you are using both ports and not a splitter< i believe you will also have to set up Var3, 4... Make 3 the same as 1 and 4 the same as 2. Hope I have done this where you get the idea???

From here it is just setting up your outlets, if you need any help with them... Just let us know!

Great! Hope to get back to it tonight. Thought about a big Tupperware container for water protection under my cabinet. Mount the container then mount the controller inside. Silicon around it and have a strip cut out of the bottom for the cables and should make it nice and secure from water but able to get air from slot in bottom. Same with the aquabus. Stopping off at Lowe's tonight for woodscrews (shorter) and same black split tube for cables. Mounting lights I'm still thinking but would like to get the probes in the water and running.

So if I use the aquabus sockets for the lights theytake up six and it leaves me with only two open for jets of which I have three currently. I want to set it up for a feeding cycle to turn jets off while feeding and chem treatments. That sorta sucks.

Thats easy use a short extension cord with multiple outlets, I run 4 on two of my outlets.... you almost have to have your lights plugged into the EB8 so you can shut them down, if they have juice going to them they will run the fans 24/7. You may at some point want to add another EB8, That is what I did just so it was easier to shut down return pump and skimmer while feeding. Then my heaters for a backup to the one that is on them.

that or a timer strip for your lights would work. that way you can still shut them down and then save your control plugs for heaters, return, skimmer, and pumps. The VAR is what will turn your lights on and off but the outlet has to cut juice to them after your turn off time. If that makes sense