natural stone tiles in aquarium

Hooked

I'm not a geologist but the different compositions of marble would worry me. What makes one marble stone black and what makes another green? Is that metals that make the color different? I'm not sure, just asking the question!

Another question is whether the tile has any epoxy/sealant? Then is that epoxy/sealant reef safe....

No sand, going bare bottom. I had starboard in my 90 when it was BB, but in this case, I'm looking for smaller pieces so I can move them around. And will pick a light color so it will look like the bottom and hopefully get some coralline on it eventually.

I think marble is calcite and not being a chemist, the "calc" part of that concerns me. I guess I could buy some and do a vinegar dip test or I could just keep looking for travertine.

The travertine I found was filled, so I passed on that. The marble I found is natural, tumbled, no fill.

What size tiles are you planning? Could you use the small flat ceramic pieces that are used for frags? I had some I think they are 2x2. I don't know if you are looking at marble to be able to have the edges butt tight to hide the seams but you could use ceramic tiles. I used 6"x6" for my spawning clowns. You could put them fancy side up, some of the lighter colors would look much like sand I think.

Hey Daniel. Good to see you're around. Are you doing any fish breeding?

I don't want to have wall to wall tile, I just want to use tiles under my clams and some chalices so they don't attach to the bottom.

I could use ceramic. I was looking for travertine because it has a porous surface and neutral colors. Lowe's didn't have unfilled travertine, but had tumbled marble, so I wondered if that was an option. I can probably get travertine at the Tile Shop, but they are so overpriced.

Hey Katrina!

I think you should be fine. Calcite is just a form of dense calcium carbonate. It will probably break down over time and maybe change your parameters a bit, but I can't see it being a huge issue. I'd vinegar test it anyways. Just bleach it and let it dry before you put it in.

Good to see you back in too! I am still on my aquarium break but hoping to get a small tank going again soon.

I see now what you are doing, I thought you were trying to line the entire bottom. I am getting old and slow! :) I have often thought of going to a place like All Fired Up and see if they would let me make some ceramic items myself and fire them for me. You could make some neat little islands if they would.

When I was a sales rep about 7 years ago home depot could special order in unfilled travertine. You'd have to buy a box of 18" square tile however. It was 4pcs iirc and about $7/sq ft. If not, try contacting Dal Tile directly and see if you can get a couple of "samples" they used to be good about that. You just had to pay shipping charges.

Hey Katrina!

I think you should be fine. Calcite is just a form of dense calcium carbonate. It will probably break down over time and maybe change your parameters a bit, but I can't see it being a huge issue. I'd vinegar test it anyways. Just bleach it and let it dry before you put it in.

That's what I was looking for Erin, thanks. I read that sea shells are calcite, so I thought it might not be a big deal, but the vinegar test proved otherwise. There is a substantial amount of fizzing going on, so I guess I'll go to The Tile Shop and pay their ridiculous price for travertine.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in.

Good to see you back here Amanda. :)

That's what I was looking for Erin, thanks. I read that sea shells are calcite, so I thought it might not be a big deal, but the vinegar test proved otherwise. There is a substantial amount of fizzing going on, so I guess I'll go to The Tile Shop and pay their ridiculous price for travertine.

How much tile do you need? My parents might have some travertine left over from when they built their house a couple of years ago. They're in town right now, so I can ask them when I see them tomorrow. If so, I can have Mom ship some pieces up to me when they go back to Lexington.

It's the "in" thing what do you expect :P

Hooked,

I think you are making a good call. Dustin is right about heavy metals making the colors. Green is copper; blue is cobalt, red-orange likely iron. I do not know what the black would be off hand. Ceramics have aluminum and silicates in them. You would be ok with the pure white marble. It is high in calcium carbonate.