DIY LED build

TYRYFIN

I have started a new project to supplement or replace the six VHOs on my tank. Because of limitation on space I am trying to use LEDs instead of trying to cram another couple of bulbs into my canopy. I looked at LED's several years ago with the original Solaris LED fixture but those 1 watt LEDs were not strong enough for a 30 inch deep tank and they plain did not work on my tank. With the advancement in LED technology the new 3 watt Cree LEDs are very appealing with both their output, long life, and foot print. So I decided to purchase 48 three watt Royal Blue Cree LEDs, 4 Meanwell LPC-35-700 drivers, and twenty-four 40 degree optics. The drivers I went with are not dimmable as I figured I would need all of the blue light and they were half the cost of the dimmable version. The optics were an after thought due the depth of my tank; spotlighting may be an issue with the 40 degree lenses.

My thought is to run the LEDs on aluminum U channel the length of my tank spaced every 3 inches.

Cree LED

gallery_24_75_33259.jpg

I did not like the placement of the slots used for mounting as I was going to use SS screws instead of nylon to save time (tapping hole)and money; so I put my own slots on what would be the north and south poles of the star. A dremel and a cutting bit made this easy. The reason I did this was to prevent shorting the solder pads to ground.

gallery_24_75_77697.jpg

I had read that some people have had difficulties in soldering to the solder pads but I did not have this, if I had it to over I would use 18 gauge wire instead of 16.

gallery_24_75_10521.jpg

I hooked the driver up to the 12 LEDs and did the smoke test and everything worked. The light was brighter than I thought it would be. I am 25% of the way done and hope to finish the rest over the weekend. I will try to post more pictures when I can.

gallery_24_75_12587.jpg

Can you provide a supplier of parts? I am wanting to do retro moon lighting. I was thinking about 4 of the 3 watt LED over a 75. Do you think that will be to bright for moon lights?

Are you going to cover the wiring and soldering post?

Very nice. That is bright. A nice before and after pic will be nice to see the comparison.

As soon as I get it all built I will provide before and after shots on the tank.

Can you provide a supplier of parts? I am wanting to do retro moon lighting. I was thinking about 4 of the 3 watt LED over a 75. Do you think that will be to bright for moon lights?

I got all parts from Rapidled.com. The pricing was very competetive with most and the had stock and shipped within a couple of day. I think that would work well.

The LEDs have a + and - labeled terminal and all you do is solder a wire from the negative of the first LED to the positive of the second, then from the negative of the second to the positive of the third and repeat until you get to the last LED. The Meanwell driver has four leads, two are the AC input and the other two are labled + and - DC. You solder the Meanwell + to the first Led + terminal and the Meanwell - is soldered to the last Led's - terminal.

I am using a variable 20 or 40 watt soldering iron and electrical solder with 16 ga wire. I would reconmend using 18 ga wire.

I have read that those arent ideal moon lights. They are too strong and could bleach the corals.

I have read that those arent ideal moon lights. They are too strong and could bleach the corals.

You might want to fjnd a 1 watt LED and use it.

Just a quick update, I completed another 12 and will have to buy another 8 foot section of U channel to finish it. I hope this weekend but the boys have baseball practice and games.

Paul,

I am curious where you came to that understanding regarding the LEDs having the capacity to bleach coral... any web links?

I have also heard that LED moonlights that are left on 24/7 can cause corals to bleach as well. I would imagine it has to do with the algae needing the darkness to focus mainly on respiration and not photosynthesis.

http://www.lagoonsonline.com/general2.htm

Photosynthesis is the process whereby organisms are able to grow utilizing the sun's radiant energy to power the fixation of atmospheric C02 and subsequently provide the reducing power to convert the C02 to organic compounds. The following represents the biochemical reactions that occur during photosynthesis and respiration by algae.

Photosynthesis

C02 + 2H20 ---> CH20 + H20 + 02

Carbon Dioxide + Water -> Cells + Water + Oxygen

Respiration

CH20 + 02 ---- > C02 + H20

Cells + Oxygen -> Carbon Dioxide + Water

In the presence of light, respiration and photosynthesis can occur simultaneously in algae. However, the respiration rate is low compared with the photosynthesis rate, resulting in a net consumption of carbon dioxide and production of oxygen. In the absence of light, algal respiration continues while photosynthesis stops, resulting in a net consumption of oxygen and production of carbon dioxide.

I read it somewhere on RC. I figured it was worth mentioning to save him some corals. If you put a coral under it and run it 10 hours through the nite the coral will bleach. At least thats what I got from the thread on there. Whouldn't it be like running your actinics for moon lights? I have never tryed it, I always found the 1 watt blue moon lights to be plenty strong.

Really interested in your progress on this DIY. I am interested in doing something similar for my 200 gal mixed reef tank. I noticed there are 5 w led's out there. Have considered those or do you think the 3 w's will do the trick.

Just doing quick math, the money is not all that outrageous anymore to consider this in place of MH or another lighting setup especially considering the energy bill and cost of replacements.

Great DIY Project. Thanks for sharing!

Really interested in your progress on this DIY. I am interested in doing something similar for my 200 gal mixed reef tank. I noticed there are 5 w led's out there. Have considered those or do you think the 3 w's will do the trick.

Just doing quick math, the money is not all that outrageous anymore to consider this in place of MH or another lighting setup especially considering the energy bill and cost of replacements.

Great DIY Project. Thanks for sharing!

I did not look very hard at the 5 watt LEDs as the 3 watt ones have had a pretty good track record so far and the 5 watt are fairly new. Since my primary goal on this is to replace only my actinics I went with the 3 watt bulbs.

I did not get any work on them this weekend, but I did do a little last night. I did decide to add a second U channel the total length for added stability and extra heat dissapation. I hope to finish the mounting and soldering tonight. I will post pictures when I finish.

I did not look very hard at the 5 watt LEDs as the 3 watt ones have had a pretty good track record so far and the 5 watt are fairly new. Since my primary goal on this is to replace only my actinics I went with the 3 watt bulbs.

I did not get any work on them this weekend, but I did do a little last night. I did decide to add a second U channel the total length for added stability and extra heat dissapation. I hope to finish the mounting and soldering tonight. I will post pictures when I finish.

I am considering doing a DIY to replace my current lighting fixture in total. Does anyone have any experience with this? Good idea? Bad idea? I am looking for a low heat, greener way to light my tank and support coral (sps mostly) growth.

Well I got the LEDs up and in place late last night (too late for a picture). The color of the red and green corals in the tank really exploded under the LEDs only. I was trying to leave the setup as it was before but beause of space issues I had to remove one set of 110 watt VHOs to make room. I will take pictures tonight.

Here are a couple of pictures I took last night comparing just to compare VHO actinic to LED. I apologize for my photo skills.

med_gallery_24_75_28256.jpg

This is 48 royal blue 3 watt Cree LEDs, the LEDs are spaced three inches on center. The LEDs are in a straight line at the front of the tank angled toward the center. The view is approx 1/3 of the tank. The VHOs are off

med_gallery_24_75_63953.jpg

This shows the tank with four 110 watt VHO actinics on. The actinic are toward the back of the tank.

I know it is hard to see but the LEDs look more crisp and a more vivad darker blue, the VHOs seem to be more washed out.

The lights are approx 12 inches off the top of the water.

the reason why as ask is I have 18 watts of LEDs running 24/7 in my anemone growout tank.. I have yet to see any ill effects of them. but each tank does behave differently.

What wattage and optics? The stuff I read was referring to 3 watt with the optics.

Looks really great! Nice job! What are the size of your tank? I know your tank is 30'' deep and the blue clearly has no trouble penetrating so I should have no trouble with my 24'' deep tank. Anybody have recommendations on what white lights to use? I am trying to get an idea on how many LED's I need for my 180. I was thinking of 48 royal blue and 48 white (of some kind). All 3 watt. I am facing the same space limitations in the canopy. It is less about space limitation than economy regarding ongoing life cycle costs of bulb replacements, etc. I estimate spending about $150.00 per year with my PCF setup. Moving to MH would be at least the same and probably more. With this setup, I could get something installed and running for about $1000.00. Seems like a cost effective solution today whereas even 2 years ago installing LED's was very cost prohibitive.

I welcome any comments or advice. Thanks!

Looks really great! Nice job! What are the size of your tank? I know your tank is 30'' deep and the blue clearly has no trouble penetrating so I should have no trouble with my 24'' deep tank. Anybody have recommendations on what white lights to use? I am trying to get an idea on how many LED's I need for my 180. I was thinking of 48 royal blue and 48 white (of some kind). All 3 watt. I am facing the same space limitations in the canopy. It is less about space limitation than economy regarding ongoing life cycle costs of bulb replacements, etc. I estimate spending about $150.00 per year with my PCF setup. Moving to MH would be at least the same and probably more. With this setup, I could get something installed and running for about $1000.00. Seems like a cost effective solution today whereas even 2 years ago installing LED's was very cost prohibitive.

I welcome any comments or advice. Thanks!

Thanks, The tank is 600 gallons, the dimensions are 130 X 36 X 30. The pure cost of replacing all my lights at one time because of the size stopped me from doing it. I have approx $ 450 in this one setup, I figure I would need 7 of these to replace everything. I am so impressed with the Royal Blue LEDs that I am going to order another set to replace the v VHOs that I still have.

I will have approx $ 900 in it and it will save me approx $300 a year in bulb replacement (every 6 months) and according to the calulator on Reef Central approx $120 a year in electricity cost. It should also help reduce temperature in the tank (100 LEDs X 3 watts = 300 watts vs 6 X 110 watts = 660 watts for VHO) thus less chiller usage. I think it is a no brainer so far, and I repeat so far.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...