Replacing carpet...tank move

John_Wik

Hey all --

Sometime in the next couple months we're going to be replacing all the carpet on our main floor with LVP. That's going to entail shutting down my 180 for...a week? Maybe a week and a half?  The tank will have to be drained down and disconnected so the crew can shift it to do the new floor. 

First, does anybody have any special strategies for this? What I had rough-planned was to get a 100g bin like this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rubbermaid-structural-foam-stock-tanks-100-gal-capacity?cm_vc=-10005 , put that in the basement, drain water down to it, rocks and stuff into it with heater and circulation, and away we go. 

First, any issues or problems anyone sees with that approach? But second...I don't really need a 100g plastic bin sitting around in the garage forever. Does anyone have one of these already that I could use for a couple weeks? Or would anybody be interested in buying it after the fact?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, BGrand said:

Following this cause we are replacing our carpet in the next month or so and I have the same concerns. Although mine are much smaller. 54 corner with sump.

I can actually help with that one. Before upgrading to the 180 I replaced carpet under my 120 a few years ago. That I could do in a half-day...pulled rock, coral and fish to several large heavy duty rubbermaid bins, drained tank water down to cover everything, lids on with air stones. Drained the tank the rest of the way down and the carpet crew was able to shift it no problem with the rest of the furniture. Seems like going from the 120 to the 180 is an order of magnitude though. Empty the tank/stand weighs probably 400 lb, so too much for even a couple guys to easily shift. Plus figuring the whole-main-floor flooring change will be a few day job instead of a few hours.

Thank you!

So would I be better off putting the rock and coral in one container with a heater, Vortec MP10, and air stone and in another container put the fish and a heater, MP10, and air stone? Or just put them all in a 50 gallon trash can on wheels with the heater, 2 MP10's and an air-stone or two?

I'm also guessing I want to keep enough water in the tank to cover the sand, correct?

I'm also using this move as an opportunity to clean up my electrical wiring and give my sump a good cleaning.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

When I did the 120 I put all the unattached coral and fish into a couple bins and the rock into others, just so I wouldn't risk crushing anything. I wanted to save my sandbed too, but by the time I got the rock out and water drained down ALL the sludge from a couple years had stirred out of the sandbed and I ended up just replacing it all anyway.  And YES on the rewiring. That was the best part, getting to re-think how everything went together.