UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector

I used to use these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y24DEU/?tag=aboutcom02lifewire-20&ascsubtag=4142625|ne14249e09e0a4e18bac799e8d98d7d9519) until I got a small generator. I had one on my 75 that would run the return, wave maker, and heater for appx an hour. Now I use a smaller UPS and rely on my generator if we lose electricity for longer periods. 

I did some more research and maybe I would be better off with just a good surge protector for now and a generator later.  A UPS would give me only about and hour  of power and I already have a battery back up for my powerhead. I want to protect my controllers and other tank electronics from getting fried from a power surge. Royal Exclusiv thinks that is what happened to my Red Dragon 3 return pump.(although I have my doubts about that) Pump is fine but controller is dead. But now I have to buy a whole new pump because the controller wires can not be disconnect from the rest of the pump which prevents me from getting a new controller only. This model has also been discontinued. (The new model has disconnect type wires, which is good) A surge protector would at least give me that protection.

Opinions and advice on surge protector vs UPS battery back up with surge protection?

I 100% agree with you. UPS’s are nice in theory, but the limited time they’ll actually provide doesn’t do much long term. That’s why I ended up getting the generator instead. The unfortunate part is that surge protectors are really only as good as the price you’re willing to pay for them. If there is a surge large enough to zap the surge protector, it will most likely make it through to your electronics as well. I have a Monster Cable brand surge protector for my tv/surround sound that has been through multiple electric surges and outages, so that’s really the only one I recommend. But it was around the $300 range if I remember correctly, so isn’t a cheap piece of equipment. They guarantee up to a certain amount for your electronics if they get fried, but they won’t warranty aquarium products because of the close proximity to water. I still swear by them though. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tanknovice said:

I use the APC battery back up and surge protector

Have 3 of them running and only have critical components on battery backup

Goal is to keep things stable for 3 hours and after that if I need to start generator I do 

Which model are you using?