Red Sea 170 build

2 hours ago, Gonzo620 said:

I don’t heat my water before mixing salt or after.i don’t heat at all.  🤷🏽‍♂️ Is there concern? Should I be? @PaulS.46122

Very exciting can’t wait to see the scape! 

@Gonzo620 I have always heard that it was best to mix your salt water to the temp your tank is running.   🤷‍♂️  Now this may be the case as I'm running a much smaller system than you are too.   I want my mix heated and ready to go when I do a change.   The closest it is to tank temp is best for me to avoid temp swings.

I do understand its okay to mix and let rest, but wouldn't you want to heat the water before doing a waterchange?

So fish discussion time! This is just a quick list, probably two many for my tank but I want to stay big and pull back.  The numbers I have listed are suggested school sizes, so curious to hear about your thoughts. 

Goals: Column swimmers, Column floater, Rock explorer, Sand fish, I’m looking for a vibrant amount of movement and fish.

And please give recommendations around alternatives. 

xvdM9jS8QaCvVyHEg3xGJNuyFNmsy6eb5varo1eK

1 hour ago, tprize said:

Yes, once parameters are stable I’ll run pods only for a few weeks, feed them phyto and let the population explode.

Also I like the mixed idea will they all school mixed?

I’m not sure.   I was thinking more about color than schooling.   

Most of the time firefish will pick each other off after a while.  That's why I got Jenn a helfrichi instead.

The zebra bars are pretty cool fish and usually in stock at a local fish store.  For chromos I usually recommend odd numbers but maybe starting with 6 and 5 being your target in case one perishes would work.  

Very cool on the DIY bucket sir.  I will bring you a few empty ones for me 😁

In my experience, the blue reef chromis you mentioned would do better with only 3 for this size tank. I've had 3  zebra dartfish before and they did fine. Although they would hide a lot in the rocks. For a Mandarin, you will have to culture pods or buy them all the time. In that size tank I don't think pods will populate themselves enough to sustain a mandarin.  Mandarins will eat 500+ pods a day. Have you thought about adding a pistol shrimp with your yellow watchman goby? I love watching them interact. 

Well my return pump is making a high pitches noise that can be heard throughout the room. Simplicity has been incredible, they sent out some new parts to try, and when that did not work, they are sending out a new body.  Incredible customer service. Stinks I go the one bad egg, but with customer service like this that’s ok.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I wanted to do an update, sorry it has taken so long. First of all, my tank is just ugly right now, I guess that's the price you pay for having dead rock and ensuring you have not contracted any bad stuff with your live rock.

ya7EMTfrDOafasoxMVqUll_DIH2RskwKLwzwEHDc

I have added some new equipment, First, I am running Premium Aquatic Carbon in my new Nyos Torq 1.o

B3bekpYPFZe7ea7Lx6eW5WdTLUnmdM8Ccz_y1q9t

Secondly, I was having an issue with the built in ATO, where the float would become submerged, when I would use feed mode on the pump. This meant salt was encrusting the needle, and then it would fail. So I got a new Auto Aqua Top off unit, to replace the stock unit. The only complaint I have about the Red sea, is I wish they had some more water capacity in the top off container.

Osi9_d-_36pYuPMnsC-U1dt9jLovJw9iPUnju06u

Tank uglies!!! First signs of a completed cycle. For me this means time for a big water change and the addition of a clean up crew. CUC will take care of the diatoms.

On a more serious note Bob @PetesFolly has a review on the nyos you got ,only the bigger 2.0  Give his tread a read. http://indmas.org/main/index.php?/forums/topic/18806-nyos-torq-media-reactor-with-20-body/

• 1 year later...