Keep your test kits up to date!

dmits41

Since I restarted my tank after the crash and room build I thought I'd just roll along for a while without testing, but once I got a few frags I got back on track. I found my Alk was really low, the first test was 6.8. I am using the Hanna checker for testing but was using reagent that expired in July, so I decided to pick up a fresh bottle today because I was afraid that I was dosing too much and want to make sure the result is accurate. I was up to 9.24 dKh, then tested with both reagents today. Turns out my reading with the new kit was only 7.62. I tested again with both vials just to take that out of the equation and the results were the same within 1 ppm. It looks like my expired reagent was giving me a bad result, I am curious how low the Alk really was. I noticed that my frags opened up significantly after dosing so I bet it was pretty low. It goes to show that even though the test kits look fine you really should replace them when they expire.

• Like 1