Rock flower anemone

Gonzo620

So yesterday I hosted the November meeting. During the meeting I noticed something very exciting. One of my rock nems was giving birth! Once the majority of the members left I started collecting them. Anyone else in the club have success with breeding these guys?

1081E7E3-7FD6-4FC4-9D40-AA4406DB3322.thumb.jpeg.2d32188e1bdf85c254c05a0d86201618.jpeg

DA565158-5DB3-4306-9C71-41BE1852545A.thumb.jpeg.b1933a118308b92ca61e9675c7e941d8.jpeg

They’re all about 1/8” in size and there’s quite a few. 

I had this happen 10+ years ago when i first entered the hobby.  At the time not many people had heard of flower rock anemone and I was told they were a pest anemone.  So i killed them.....stupid mistake!!!!  

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

I had this happen 10+ years ago when i first entered the hobby.  At the time not many people had heard of flower rock anemone and I was told they were a pest anemone.  So i killed them.....stupid mistake!!!!  

Oh no! We live and learn. 

Awesome, congrats!

I just recently set up a rock flower  tank in hopes of breeding them...so time will tell. I have bought 9 now, but most are pretty small and they do have to mature before they start breeding. And you do have to have  male and females from my understanding. So out of the 9  I have I think odds will be better of having male and females.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrsBugmaster said:

Awesome, congrats!

I just recently set up a rock flower  tank in hopes of breeding them...so time will tell. I have bought 9 now, but most are pretty small and they do have to mature before they start breeding. And you do have to have  male and females from my understanding. So out of the 9  I have I think odds will be better of having male and females.

Agreed! The more you have the better the chances of acquiring males and females.

I will be selling some for sure. Just want them to get some size first. Right now there the size of a piece of Nerds candy. 

• 1 month later...

Update on these guys. All is well and they have doubled in size!  Found a few more shortly after my first post. A week ago had a couple die do to some kind of slime/bacteria that was covering the two anemone. I think it was caused by some leftover food. With a new total of 20 babies! I hope to not have anymore loses. 

6B631440-8FCE-4DAA-99B0-D5FAA3DCD1E6.thumb.jpeg.604848ecd98f28b4440886cebedff632.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi all! Update on these guys is long overdue. They’re steadily growing. I have noticed there’s a size difference in all of the nems not sure why. Maybe it’s they all grow at their own rates, or maybe it’s a sign of sex. Not sure but I will be documenting the stand outs. The bigger ones are around 3/8” round. The colors on these guys are really starting to show.B64B5922-E0C3-4815-B9CA-0F33BF3CBBE7.thumb.jpeg.12c1bef4c2dca1bd9d5cb33704042a90.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Little over due update! These guys are getting big and beautiful!  Biggest one is now over 3/4” when fully open. Keep your eyes out probably in about a couple of months I’ll be putting these for sale. 

0D52C40D-E714-494D-A330-9FB2960366D5.thumb.jpeg.d1f835c67445ac6b6afa59ac2d1dfbc0.jpeg

• Like 4