Rainford Goby

Avery

So I bought a Rainford Goby from my LFS yesterday. He already looks kind of skinny. I want to make sure that I give him what he needs. Does anyone have any tips/tricks on what I should be feeding and how often? The LFS told me to feed a mixture of frozen reef plankton and cyclops. What do you guys think?

Hey whats up Avery...hope you are doing well from your move!

I think both of those foods would be good to start with and are smaller sized which is good too.  You may check out v2o foods...they have mini mysis, reef caviar and micro plankton.  its a soft freeze food and should be a good source of food for the little guy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Hey whats up Avery...hope you are doing well from your move!

I think both of those foods would be good to start with and are smaller sized which is good too.  You may check out v2o foods...they have mini mysis, reef caviar and micro plankton.  its a soft freeze food and should be a good source of food for the little guy

Awesome thank you! Things are going good! I haven’t found a local club in Virginia so I’m going to just stay on here and probably fly in for the frag swap haha. 

Eating is always a good sign. It looks like he could handle brine shrimp and possibly Mysis shrimp also. If possible, feed 3 times per day but in small amounts so you don't stress your system. Make sure he eats it all within a few minutes.

P.S. Kill off the aiptasia before it gets too happy. They can get out of hand quickly. The zoas look good!

19 minutes ago, cmrun said:

Eating is always a good sign. It looks like he could handle brine shrimp and possibly Mysis shrimp also. If possible, feed 3 times per day but in small amounts so you don't stress your system. Make sure he eats it all within a few minutes.

P.S. Kill off the aiptasia before it gets too happy. They can get out of hand quickly. The zoas look good!

Thanks! The zoos actually were stressed from a cyano outbreak, but I finally got that taken care of. What’s the best way for me to get rid of the aptasia? There’s only one. The idea of the “juice” kinda scares me putting it in the tank and I don’t have an aptasia wand. Could I cut it with scissors or something?

I got rid of Majano's and a stubborn Aiptasia by taking it out with a dental pick / scraper. I had used Joes and kalk paste but the little bugger kept coming back. To scrape it off I did it during a water change and pulled the rock out of the water.. dug into the hole and scraped the menace out. I rinsed the rock in some of my waste water pulled from the tank. Because the mariano's were small, and there were a number of them, I repeated this process once a month for several months. It worked on the Majano's quite well.

The Aiptasia relocated itself into an empty snail shell which I was able to pitch.  Maybe not the best way but it worked for me. Being "retentive" also helps :) !