Acrylic Sump

indymatt

So I was not too happy on the pricing of sumps or their design. I went ahead and designed my own. I was limited on width as all my plumbing is in a closet under the stairs. So I made a 48"L x 12"W x 18"H sump. It was made with black and clear acrylic bought from Auburn Plastics here in Indy, much cheaper than Meyer Plastics. Here are a few pictures:

20180915_151342_zpslsrgzbyb.jpg

20180915_151335_zpsrlklhewo.jpg

The second picture shows where the filter socks are placed. I drilled and tapped the plate to make it removable for cleaning. The plate on top with the protective film still on it will have two bulkheads with each draining into a 4" filter sock. I did add an acrylic plate for the float switches to attach to for top off that isn't pictured. I am also going to be placing inputs for calcium reactor and topoff lines into the top brace. Not completely finished but very close. I got to make the bracket for the probes as well.

• Thanks 1

When I built my sump it was my first acrylic build and has capacity of about 125 gallons.  I knew I had little to no bubbles but still used weld-on 16 for all the exterior joints for extra insurance.  Can't tell from the pictures but if the edges are rough from the router/saw hit them with a torch real quickly.  Also, if you've not done so round the edges before hitting with torch.  You'll be happy you did later as the acrylic will slice you up a lot over time if you don't!

Yeah had very little bubbles as well. I may do the same with the 16 as well. I rounded the top edge over with a router then flame polished all the edges. I sanded all the pieces with 220 grit to smooth out the cut marks.

Thanks Guys!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...