Vertex skimmer

Ok i have a vertex omega 130 skimmer on my 40 breeder. I am in the earyl stages of the cycle with dry rock. The tank is getting a pinch of food each day. Should this skimmer be pulling skimate at this point? It either does nothing or oveflows like crazy. Too big for my system? Or? Sooo frustrated considering trading it off for something else

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, reefaddicted said:

When would you turn on the skimmer?

After the first fish is added is when I start it.

Others do run skimmers the whole time. But I fine that it doesn't skim anything cause there is no bio load so it just overflows or is not doing anything. 

I started cycling my tank without a skimmer and had a small issue. Started a thread on here to try to figure it out. Basically the drains started acting like the skimmer and was producing what I call skim foam that was filling my first compartment of the sump. Here’s the link if you wanna check it out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is possible to have too large of a skimmer.

Your skimmer is rated for:

Lightly Stocked - 130 Gallons

Medium Stocked - 65 Gallons

Heavily Stocked - 40 Gallons

So until you have fish in the tank and a larger bio-load the skimmer may not perform properly. It is skimming everything out then goes flat until there is more protein in the system to skim out. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I used a Vertex Omega 130 on my first tank, a 40 Breeder with a DIY 20 gallon sump.  Mine was heavily stocked and it worked just fine.  Give it some time and maybe wait until you have more livestock before you give up on this one.  It's a great skimmer, the only weak point is the impeller, which broke during my first full cleaning.  I had it replaced and it ran just great for 2+ years on several tanks including the 40.  Good luck!

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2018 at 1:55 AM, JWags911SC said:

I used a Vertex Omega 130 on my first tank, a 40 Breeder with a DIY 20 gallon sump.  Mine was heavily stocked and it worked just fine.  Give it some time and maybe wait until you have more livestock before you give up on this one.  It's a great skimmer, the only weak point is the impeller, which broke during my first full cleaning.  I had it replaced and it ran just great for 2+ years on several tanks including the 40.  Good luck!

What would be considered heavily stocked? Im honestly not sure

6 hours ago, JWags911SC said:

I guess that's anyone's guess, but I had five medium sized fish in my 40 and a dozen different coral in my 40 Breeder.  It worked fine for me, good luck

Thanks for the info.  I have an adult pair of snowflake clowns and a blue green chromis. Some zoanthids and a couple easier sps.

Ok so I had taken the vertex skimmer out of my sump and ran an old euro reef skimmer for a few while but after reading all this again I figured I would give it a shot again.  I have finally got it running stable and pulling a good amount of skimate. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice

• Like 1