Algae Identification

Eric, can you get a few pictures with just the whites on? It will be much easier to give you an ID if we can see the algae more clearly.

That said, the sand looks like either diatoms or possibly dinos. By the acan looks like possible bryopsis. Again, we could give a more precise answer with better pics. 

Check this site out to see what looks closest as well; https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

• Like 1

That looks more like cyano than algae. Look into increasing your flow, reducing dissolved organics, and possibly treating with cyanoRX or something similar. 

As far as nuisances go in this hobby, this is one of the easier ones to treat. 

• Like 1

+1

Cyano isn't fun but not too hard to beat.  I would also consider adding to what Ryan said and try siphoning as much off cyano as possible, do your normal water change...then change out filter socks and turn off lights for a few days.  Remember cyano is a bacteria...so hitting it from all angles like you would a common cold as seemed to help me in the past.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have used an airline in the past with a hard plastic airline tube attached the the end to vacuum up the Cyano.  Just thought I would throw in a DIY idea.  That was in addition to the previous suggestions.