80 shallow

My new deep blue 80 rimless.   Need to get some new equipment and finish the stand but look forward to the build.

B7B85961-2A1D-4255-99DB-41C131DA46E8.jpeg

• Like 1

My current plans:

either trigger sys sump crys30s 30x12x15, total volume of water 21.3 gal with fixed skimmer level of 9.5”

or

trigger sys sump crys36s 36x14x15, total volume of water 30.6 gal with fixed skimmer level of 9.5”

the 36 might be the better option for back flow since it hold’s more water

skimmer bubble magus curve 7 with 9.5-11” water level which should work with either sump without a skimmer stand

return pump most likely a sicce pump as i have used some smaller one and like their quietness.

lighting i will either get another kessil A360 since i have one, but really leaning toward using my 250w halides again with reef bright T-5 supplement.  Halides are a personal preference for me.

ato - maybe smart ato unit.  Not sure yet

phosban reactor 

• 3 weeks later...

That is one sharp tank sir.  Jenn and i are considering going with this set up next.  Keep us posted on the build!

I have two of the smart ATO.   Really like these small non invasive sensors and reliability.  Consider adding a Wi-Fi outlet so you can reset the unit remotely if needed

I have two of the Tunze 5017 top offs and one Smart ATO. I have to say I do like the Tunze better. On the Smart ATO I get alarms quit often and it shuts off and I have to reset it. Never had any problems with the Tunze and have had them for 4 and 6 years now. If you have a sump I think Tunze is the way to go. If no sump the Smart ATO my be the better way. They are more money but you get what you pay for IMO.

+1 on the Smart ATO. Even when I had an issue with it they sent me a new sensor no questions asked. I reset with the apex when needed. Been runninng the smart ato for almost 18 months now. I also have the deep blue 80 rimless, stand was built by the previous owner

Thanks for the advice.   Appreciated.    There will be a sump.   Believe  i am going with a trigger system.   36” long model.  Have purchased curve 7 skimmer.   I’m in no rush so waiting for some july 4th sales! 😁

Yeppers got a few things i will most likely be ordering!  👍🏻

Need to get the stand finished  but its my busy season at work and have not felt like starting that part of the build.   Hopefully mid july

I can't compare as I have not owned the smart ATO. I can say I am happy with my Tunze topping off into the sump. (about 2 years now) From the pictures you posted, it looks like your going to have nice set up when your finished!

I have been running the Smart ATO on my IM 25 Lagoon.  Only time it gives me problems is when I let it run out of water, which always seems to happen at 3AM.  It's pretty sensitive, but has been reliable through several vacations.

• 4 weeks later...

One step closerto getting this tank up and going.  Got a trigger system 36” sump for my birthday!   Working out lighting plans.   Still need to paint stand.  Once that is done will prob plumb it.   Test for leaks then start the cycle.  

48F9B411-0752-42EB-BBFE-CE9F368EFF4E.jpeg

• Like 2

https://www.amazon.com/Brightsky-Aquarium-Suspension-Bracket-Hanging/dp/B00E9LU9OS

hope link works

Thinking about purchasing this hanging kit for lights.   I want to suspend a light weight wooden canopy with halides and t5’s inside.   All retro as i have these.  Lighting would not weigh much. Still not sure if i want this suspended weight on tank or use conduit mounted to stand.   I’d most likely need 3/4” conduit to have it support weight.  Plus  i need to find someone that can bend the conduit.  Conduit mounted to back would prob be cleaner looking 

Bending the conduit is pretty easy to do yourself.  You can buy the bender at pretty much any home improvement store.  The half inch one at Menards is $10. Probably a little more for 3/4".  Don't buy the handle because it is ridiculously over priced.  Just go pick up a piece of black iron threaded pipe that will fit.  Should be 3/4" x 3', but that was for the 1/2". You will end up with a bender for half the price of what they sell a complete one. Then you watch a few how to video on Youtube and you're set. You may want to buy a couple extra pieces of conduit for test and practice pieces.  They are only $2-3 and you can always return them if you get it right on the first try.  If you have any questions feel free to message me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

This build has been taking forever and i had planned on having this puppy up and running 6 months ago.   Due to my work schedule and busy season i put it off until late fall.  Then the sat after thanksgiving my mom had a heart attack and a few days later a triple bypass and valve replacement.  I made many trips to ohio to assist with my dad, visit her in the hospital and in rehab.So nothing got done during dec or jan, but family first. All is well now and my mom is doing great!  Things are getting back to normal.

I wanted to use my retro halides with t5’s but kept trying to figure out a way to build a rack to suspend it all on and then skin it all out.  I kept running into deadends.  Now that life has settled down i just decided to purchase a fixture instead to make it easier, so i got an ATI 48” 8 bulb fixture from PA (btw great customer service). 

Now to figure out bulb configuration.  Not much more to get besides rock, heater, sand, ato and more salt.  So hopefully this tank will get going soon and i will get back to more club meetings.

• Like 1

Thanks Ryan.

Tank is shallow and will have good coverage from front to back with 8 bulbs.   I also considered the matrixx ii in white gloss finish from Giesemann, but i am happy with my final decision 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So my light has arrived and will pick up soon.   Thinking following bulbs.   ATI.  3 blue plus, 1 purple plus, 2 coral plus.   I have two new reef brite super actinic deep intense blue never used in the closet so i plan to use them as well.   I’m hoping with this combination i will have a nice crisp white blue color.  If i dont like the reef brites i may replace with another purple plus  and coral plus

• 3 weeks later...

Got my ati 8bulb fixture last week.  Thought  i better fire it up to make sure it works.  Really like it so far.   Built well.  Fans are quiet  even at max speed.   Unit is heavy!   Was going to suspend from ceiling but having second thoughts on that plan.

948727F1-F0DD-4FCB-890C-C195B5BBC261.jpeg

53A5C63C-2170-4F7C-89C0-D2FDAD3F689A.jpeg