My skimmer will not stop overflowing!

So I turned the skimmer on in the tank for the first time yesterday. I let it run without the cup for 24 hours to break it in. Now a day later even when running wide upon the cup fills up in like 1 minute and over flows. So, ask if anyone has any tips they can give to me about getting my skimmer broken in please pass them along, they would be greatly appreciated.

5adcbc69af6ac_IMG_14212.thumb.JPG.48f49dfaff765c42be885b8056f603e4.JPG

Be patient buddy sometime it just takes longer. On another note make sure your sump lever for the skimmer is correct. Make sure the gate valve is wide open. Leave that cup off another  day, it won’t hurt. 

It took my skimmer appx a week to get the built up slime to calm it down. Then another few days to get it dialed in to where I wanted it.

And, if you use any chemical treatments (cyanoRX, chemiclean, etc) it will go crazy again until you get enough of the water changed to go back to normal. 

50 minutes ago, ryansweet said:

It took my skimmer appx a week to get the built up slime to calm it down. Then another few days to get it dialed in to where I wanted it.

And, if you use any chemical treatments (cyanoRX, chemiclean, etc) it will go crazy again until you get enough of the water changed to go back to normal. 

Ok, so during that week I am trying to build up slime should I leave the cup off?

You can leave the cup off, or pull the drain plug from the cup (most skimmer cups have one in case you attach a larger skimmate collector). Just be sure whichever way you choose there isn’t a chance the overflow will flood anything. 

Once you get a few days into it, I like to turn the skimmer all the way down. Then start observing and making adjustments from there.