Calling All Woodworkers!

I am trying to put all my electrical in a file cabinet beside my 34 gal reef tank. Below is a picture of it. It is an wooded one that I already have so it is not in new condition. I am wanting to add heavy duty casters to the bottom so it can be easily rolled out from the wall when needed. You can see it use to have those screw in type legs that have broken out and caused some damage to the sides. I was thinking of adding the casters to the unfinished support boards that are 2 1/4 inches in from the bottom. These are not meant to hold the full weight of the cabinet so if I add casters to these will it hold up under the weight? Do I need to add more support in some way to these? What would I use? "L" brackets, or add another board. What is the best way to accomplish what I am trying to do? Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

file cabinet.jpg

I would put a piece of plywood (or similar) on the bottom to give you a solid, stable, and flush mounting area. That will distribute the weight and help to keep the cabinet from having too much stress on the joints. Those particle board cabinets can hold up to a lot, but placing castors on it the way it sits could be a big gamble. 

I think for best structural integrity, it may be hard not to drill through the sides to secure reinforcements to th bottom.  You could always add a very simple pi CME of base mould around the bottom to hide any screws.  

11 hours ago, Indymann99 said:

Use construction adhesive and mount some cleats and a plywood base.  FYI IT WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER COME APART AGAIN....  

This sounds like an idea! But what are "cleats"? Got a link for them?