Life under weak lights

Hello everyone! I’m looking for suggestions.

about 1/3 of my display is under LED’s that I chose specifically for my little mangrove shoots. I figured I could grow some cool macro algae on this side of the tank and leave the other 2/3 for coral. Then I got thinking, I wonder if anyone has had any luck with coral under weak light? The front has strong flow, the back has low flow. (Don’t mind the hideous power head, my mp10 broke and I’m awaiting replacement) 

Maybe some mushrooms? 

Thanks in advance! 

572E86B1-7EF7-4DA1-A9F1-4442469751AA.jpeg

FFDBD1E3-F08A-41E0-84C6-8167E420A4F5.jpeg

• Like 3

First off, very cool setup. I really like when people have a different approach to the hobby.

I have a low light tank (was originally setup for a mantis but has ended up housing some “misfit” fish), and the only coral I’ve been successful with have been mushrooms. I have lost pulsing xenia, and a few different zoas in that tank, but those are really the only things I’ve tried as far as coral. I noticed that the mushrooms (ricordea, not sure if they’re Florida, Vietnamese, etc) have lost color since being on that tank, but have reproduced much faster and look “fuller”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NPS (Non-Photosynthetic Corals) such as sun corals, Dendrophyllia (Dendro), Non-Photosynthetic Gorgonian, Rhizotrochus typus (Rhizo), Wire coral ( Spiral coral), some soft corals are low light too. The sun corals and dendros do need to be target feed though.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Update for anyone who has this question in the future:

I have a happy Kenya Tree that has been dropping branches. I figured I’d let a branch float back there to see how it does. It did great! The main tree drops a branch about once a week, which I pick up and put back here under the low lights. Check it out! 

3836DE2D-DBD7-4DC6-AFE8-5226403C6AEB.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

looks like it doesnt seem to mind too bad huh!   what all do you use for nutrient export on this tank?  looks like mangrove and macro algaes...anything else?  just water changes and no skimmer?