2018 Frag Swap Numbers

Thank you everyone for attending this year's frag swap, and helping make it another successful year

Entrance headcount via wristband: 606

Total 2018 Attendance ~550+ (less Vendors, Hobbyist, maybe a couple volunteers: ~50max?)

New Member Joined : 78 Wow!!

Renewals : 50+ 

Income

Raffle Ticket Sales : $3,895

Entry Fees : $3,274 This doubled Last Year's Total... Membership Drive and Ed Speaker a success!

Many thanks to our awesome sponsors for making this year's raffle a reality. Congratulations to all the winners!  Please support these companies with your Hobby $'s this year!   

Finally,... many thanks to you (us), our membership ...for coming out, supporting INDMAS, and being a great community of people!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2018 at 6:49 AM, MrsBugmaster said:

What is the total profit?

We're waiting on a last few invoices to come in yet (day-of-show items like raffle security, flag/banner, etc).... but including those estimates I'd say we cleared about $3000 this year.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 9:20 AM, coralfarm123 said:

Yeah I would like to see a real itemized breakdown of the numbers. Are those entry fees counting membership renewals too or just $5 entries?  How much did the speaker cost to bring in etc?

Yeah, we did our best to split the difference between $5 entries and $20 memberships for a quick estimate that day. After I discuss the #'s Kyle worked on this week documenting all the new membership, renewals, etc I'm sure we will be able to publish the count of both down to the 0.001...

Right now it looks like 130+ $5 daily fees and another 150+ members, & their ??? Family Members/guests to get to our 600+ wristbands handed out.

The educational speaker cost us about $1,000 to fly in and treat to a nice Friday night in Indy.  MACNA did generously reimburse a portion of his speaking fee.

• Like 1

Membership renewals and new member signups are considered club revenue and not swap revenue and should not be counted toward the "profitablity" of the swap otherwise it will give a false comparison to previous swap revenue gains.  I know I'm being difficult but I want to make sure numbers are being calculated the same as previous years. So if that approximately 3k profit includes membership fees you would need to subtract the $2560 off the swap revenue.  

Here is a link to last years #s and this year looks to be way less in revenue and profit.  Please don't skew the numbers!

• Like 1

We will get it all laid out with some more details.  We also need to not include the speaker cost as part of the swap as we decided to move our education speaker to the swap time as the turnout for the last one was not very good.   We will have to evaluate doing it the same time next year or going back to having it as a stand-alone feature.   I will get a shot of the last several swap numbers to post but looks like last year was an outlier with a raffle spike and I think we had multiple platinum sponsors.  The couple I looked at it seems like we made about $1500-$1700.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coralfarm123 said:

Membership renewals and new member signups are considered club revenue and not swap revenue and should not be counted toward the "profitablity" of the swap otherwise it will give a false comparison to previous swap revenue gains.  I know I'm being difficult but I want to make sure numbers are being calculated the same as previous years. So if that approximately 3k profit includes membership fees you would need to subtract the $2560 off the swap revenue.  

Here is a link to last years #s and this year looks to be way less in revenue and profit.  Please don't skew the numbers!

I actually reviewed the past 3 years of numbers posted to make sure I was bring true to how Amanda communicated before me, and I disagree specifically with the way you have interpreted how this last year was calculated.

If you look again at the link, last year she included not only the membership fees from the entrance in the profit, but the $3500 from vendors includes raffle donation value that just went to people winning the items, not directly to the club bottom line. If anything, I am reporting a more conservative valuation this year than last because of that difference.

I'm trying to be as transparent as possible, and I believe the clubs books are to be open to any member if the detail posted here is not enough so don't stop asking!

However, as the one who raised his hand to volunteer on staff putting in the work and shouldering the financial responsibility ... I'm really bothered by the insinuation that I'm trying to skew the numbers. 

Do you want to see how much I spent on sausage burritos next, or how much I paid to hit the minimum on the food truck because I didn't hand out enough food vouchers this year? Want to spend a few hours inputting  new membership forms for Kyle? Know any cool speakers you could turn Daniel onto for monthly events? As you know, there is A LOT of detail in the planning, budgeting and execution of the swap... I sure learned a lot this year being involved "behind the scenes" and made my share of mistakes but wow, don't accuse me of fluffing the numbers.

If you want to engage in a dialogue about how I should better report our financials to the club, or how I am doing compared to Amanda, please do so with a mind towards how you want to run the position of Treasurer after me sir.

Respectfully,

-Ben

• Like 1

Wow you obviously don't know me or anything about me or the time and effort I've to the club in the 14 years I've been a member.  My comments and questions are not a personal attack in any way.  I'm not comparing you to any past Treasurer and I know you have the right credentials to do the job.  The swap is typically our largest source of revenue and it is important to compare the profitabilty of each years swap equally so that better decisions can be made in the future to improve overall success of the event. While I have no intentions of running for office for the next 8-10 years, I still want to see the club continue its tradition of growth and improvement on the foundation laid by previous members.  It was a big change and risk moving the swap so far out of Indy and I was strongly against the move and feel it was a rushed decision and have no issues saying it and a decrease in profitability was my biggest concern.  I hope I'm wrong and the club broke all profit records or was at least average and the 2018 budget is still on target.  Thanks for volunteering.  I know how stressful and time consuming the two years on the BOD can be.

Newb-Foot has been duly inserted into mouth, and will be removed only when I've got 2018 numbers lined up to compare exactly to last year and the year before. Sorry for jumping the gun. 

BTW, If someone had said 15th annual to me last November... I might have pushed that milestone much harder. I want this to be the swap that "Dirk brings a trailer to" so it sounds like we are on the same path! 😀

-Ben

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:11 AM, Been Mired said:

I actually reviewed the past 3 years of numbers posted to make sure I was bring true to how Amanda communicated before me, and I disagree specifically with the way you have interpreted how this last year was calculated.

If you look again at the link, last year she included not only the membership fees from the entrance in the profit, but the $3500 from vendors includes raffle donation value that just went to people winning the items, not directly to the club bottom line. If anything, I am reporting a more conservative valuation this year than last because of that difference.

-Ben

Sorry for the late response, but I have been out of the country with limited internet access.

Ben you are not correct. I did not include membership fees or vendor raffle prizes as profit. They are listed as a FYI only and not included in profit. If you use the google spread sheet that Dustin made a few years ago with all the formulas already in it all you have to do is put in the figures and it will calculate all the totals for you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again everyone. Sorry for the delay. I've been pretty tied up with responsibilities of my day-job and family extracurricular activities... but we've had a productive conversation in the staff forums and I'd like to share an update. 

Expenses Total :

$5,199 (Removed Speaker Expenses less MACNA payment, Updated Flag/Banner for split of non-swap expenses.) 

Total Profit   $1,401