My 20 long reef

My current tank is a 20 long i converted to an AIO, tank has been running for 4 months transfered from my previous 8g AIO cube which ran for 1.5  years.

20180305_195410.thumb.jpg.829855aeb2f2dff8602993b0a3a3d83b.jpg

Equipment list

Aquatop wave maker CPS-1 256gph

Vipar Spectra 165w black box

Marineland 200w heater

Rio+ 1000 271gph return pump

Custom media basket

DIY ATO

Current stock list
Ocellaris x3

Scarlet hermit crab x2

Blue legged hermit crab x2
Bumblebee snails

Turbo snails

Stomatella snails
Randall's pistol shrimp

Acan

Blastomussa

Zoas

GSP

Chalice

Maze coral

Palys

Duncan

Mushroom

Frogspawn

Bubble tip anemone

Sea star

Emerald Crab

Purple Pocilliapora

Lobo

Future stock

Orange spotted Goby or Randall's Goby

Gold Aussie Torch

Stylophora

Montipora

So abou two weeks ago i was fighting off some foreign substance. Unsure if it was diatoms or dinos or cyano or something else. Well it's coming back. I had done a blackout while blowing the stuff off the substrate and changing out the filter floss twice daily. I also removed some substrate in worse areas while gravel vac'ing. I had when away for the most part. My Phosphates are unreadable with a salifert test and hanna checker. I will test parameters again tonight. 

20180215_174305.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much to update on. The brown stringy stuff has slowly made a come back. I will monitor and do some small scale tests to evaluate reaction to changes ie. light, WC,. Other news was i separated my three clownfish, the two bigger ones were starting to chase and bully the small guy. After two days i caught the small guy and he now lives in my 8gal frag/QT tank

4 hours ago, Kyle Curtsinger said:

Just got my first skimmer today. Noob question! What is meant by wet skimming vs dry skimming? Also where are the bubbles level supposed to be?

20180409_211413.jpg

Wet skim is when you have the skimmer level towards the top of the neck of the skimmer and what goes into your collection cup will be more clear and not as gunky. When you dry skim you will want the level of your skimmer more towards the bottom of the neck. You will produce a much more dense liquid in your collection cup (almost like a paste). I'm not sure about all the real benefits of each one is. I know when you go with the wet side you run the risk of your skimmer cup overflowing quite easily and you will have to empty out your cup on a much more frequent basis. If you do the dry skimming you may not be really getting anything out of your tank unless you can really dial it down good. I prefer to go about half way in between dry and wet. So what is going into my collection cup is still dark but not too pasty. If you bought your skimmer brand new you will have to let it break in a bit before you can really dial in the level you want. I would open the gate valve as much as possible and let it sit like that for a day. After that I would slowly close it a little each day and watch the water level inside the skimmer go up and monitor. Once you get it to about the bottom of the neck you can watch it and see how it does there. Check what kind of skimmate goes into your collection cup and see if you are ok with that. If its too liquidly you can lower the level and if its too thick you can raise the level. Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

Long story short. Once the bubbles have accumulated enough organically on their surface they don’t pop as quick. Get enough of these and they act like a membrane. Then the air from the fresh bubbles popping underneath accumulates pushing the very dirty bubbles/membrane  upward and into the cup. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since the last tank update. I have developed a small leak near the top rim of the tank 😠. So first I am going to try and reseal the top by just lowering the water level to prolong the life until i can get a replacement.