Need Information on my Corals

Hello all INDMAS Members:

My name is Zachary and I am writing this status update in need of some suggestions on what I should do to have my corals grow efficiently in a three weeks time frame. You might be asking why three weeks for a physics project that I am doing during the final semester of high school I decided to do a project on coral growth in a Micro-Reef system. I am using different types of lights in a three week time frame. I am calling out to anyone who has any tips that I could do to get the most out of this project to show coral growth. This project is also preparing me for college as I plan to pursue in using the tank filled with glorious corals if everything goes to plan. I am using an incandescent, halogen, compact florescent, LED, and a T5 tube. I will be mixing my own salt and checking the water parameters Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the remainder of the school year. My plan for this status is to reach out to someone who has a lot of knowledge and experience in the hobby of coral keeping. :)

Contact Information:

Cell: (317)-800-4358

E-Mail: [email protected]

Cascade High School, Clayton IN 46118

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

Greetings Zachary, and welcome to INDMAS!

Good luck with your project, and don't get too discouraged by lack of growth in 3-weeks... You may simply find that the best lights "maintain" your corals effectively over that timeframe, while coral under the lower-power lights start to suffer.

BRS-TV has put together some great YouTube videos laying out very similar light tests to what you are doing. I'd recommend that you peruse those videos to get an idea on laying out your experiment.

Respectfully,

-Ben

I like your project. There are many variables to coral growth. Lights are just one aspect. Water quality and stability is another. If the led or the bulbs are the wrong spectrum you might not get much growth. Another factor to consider is changing light sources may shock and stress the coral and cause no growth. As in every time a different spectrum or light source the coral has to adjust.