Getting back in the hobby

LED's

1.  more power efficient (lower power bill)

2.  More cost efficient (no bulb changes - LED should last 10 yrs, yes debatable)

3.  Less heat to deal with (will you need a chiller in the summer with MH?) - if so see item 1. above.

4.  Ability to do "dawn to dusk" lighting effect (value of this on coral/fish is debatable)

5.  MUCH easier to mount in a canopy (physical space, heat, ballasts) 

Just my 0.02 and food for thought.

Chinese LEDs can be had very cost effective and many are using them (I have a Mars Aqua on my QT and it works great).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indymann99 said:

LED's

1.  more power efficient (lower power bill)

2.  More cost efficient (no bulb changes - LED should last 10 yrs, yes debatable)

3.  Less heat to deal with (will you need a chiller in the summer with MH?) - if so see item 1. above.

4.  Ability to do "dawn to dusk" lighting effect (value of this on coral/fish is debatable)

5.  MUCH easier to mount in a canopy (physical space, heat, ballasts) 

Just my 0.02 and food for thought.

Chinese LEDs can be had very cost effective and many are using them (I have a Mars Aqua on my QT and it works great).  

Did the math and MH ballasts have come a long way in the last 10 years and the difference in power bill is $20 a month so with the heater I use in my 180g will probably not change at all

and with my 100 sump in the other room where it is cool won’t need a chiller 😁