Aquacultured fish pairing/ genetic line

Gorgi

Does anyone know if aquacultured fish breeders mix broodstock when selecting fish to pair up to breed?   I think they would to strengthen the genetic line, but if its about profit, they may not.  In my opinion a stronger genetic line produces a healthier and more beautiful fish.   Apparently i have to much idle time on hand to be thinking about this and haven’t researched it, but curious if anyone knows?   

It depends upon the situation.  In clownfish you can go down to F4 or F5 (4th / 5th generation) before it becomes an issue.    As for me I like the fish to be wild caught if I can just for best practices but that's not always possible.  Wild Darwin clownfish haven't been collected for many many years.  So I am guessing with some we are starting to approach levels that are concerning.  Although Sustainable Aquatics has traceable F2 available.   The other fish that probably gets interbred a lot are neon gobies.   I am unsure of the wild/captive status of the large producers broodstock though.  

Thanks for the reply.   I just find this interesting as more captive bred species are readily available and how it will affect future stock.

It depends.   For ones where you see a progression of the amount of white let's say then yes that's typically the way.  But a lot of these designers are by mixing various strains or even species.  For example, the long fins were a naturally occurring 1 in a million fish that they then mated with another fish for production, maybe a sibling but maybe not.  The point being it wasn't a line bred situation that I typically refer to as a "strain".   

This convo has sparked my interest.  I am going to ask some people about it to see what they say.  I will let you know.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1