Eric's 60 cube

So, I'm new to this whole reefing scene and recently made the investment in a 60g gallon cube. Now that I am getting closer to actually setting it up, I thought why not make a build thread. So, here are my specs.

-Deep Blue 60 rimless cube

- Maxspect Gyre xf230

-Trigger Systems 20 Ruby sump

-Reef Octopus 152s skimmer

-Reef Octopus Varios 4 return pump

I still have to buy some things (lights, ca alk solution, ect), but let me know what you think and I will post updates as this build progresses. Here are some pics.IMG_0879.thumb.JPG.305de83c33b4b82fabb7f6eec4f8915c.JPGIMG_0882.thumb.JPG.475086eee83b5ffe89c86cb777fd03ca.JPG

• Like 1

I have the exact same tank. I ran a single XR30w Pro over it and had great growth from my corals. The only issue I ran into is rock scape. I went off what I seen others do and stacked it up against the overflow in the corner, but corals and nems would move and disappear behind the rocks. it would also create some dead spots. I haven't though about using a gyre to increase water circulation though. I will be following along to see how yours turns out.

• Like 1

I ran the coral lab sps phx14 template. I liked the growth I got out of all the coral and especially the nems I had in the tank. There is another preset that I like better for the color which is the reef creation. I manually dosed Aquavitro for alk, calcium, and mag along with water changes. 

As far as dosing cal., mag., and Alk. There are a bunch of different brands. I have just been using the aquavitro since I had won a big bundle of the stuff from a frag swap. I think most people will use kalkwasser or use the ESV as they come in jugs that you dilute or even 5g buckets. Budman just runs kalkwasser in his ATO and his tank looks great and has great growth on his corals. Just do a little research and talk to others and get some input. Like I said there are a lot of different companies with additives and choices on salts as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Got started on the stand's exterior this weekend. Also I siliconed the inside so if I spill any water it will be contained in the stand. IMG_7372.thumb.JPG.3b8a07b7a635355a93cc6ef3a0a347cb.JPGIMG_4858.thumb.JPG.ee2bcd5c11de59cf1cafd6bb3edc92e5.JPG

Next weekend I will paint the inside, do molding with my dad, and hopefully stain it.

Thanks @ReefNewby82 and @MrsBugmaster

This weekend I sanded the stand till is was smooth as butter with 400 grit sand paper. Today we did the first two coats of stain, but we still have a lot more coats to go to get it to the deep reddish brown my family wants it to be.

Here are some pictures,

IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.a1dea69e8f73ee8e27b9d97a41a24e16.JPG

Oh and I forgot, we also made the doors and got two coats of stain on them.

• Like 1