Frag plugs

Gonzo620

So I know how inexpensive plugs are, but I still wanted to give it a whirl. I’m totally a DIY guy so why not plugs. Saves me a few buck and can possibly make some too. 

Started out by making the mold. First I cut a 3”x10”x2” thick block of delrin plastic work was about to trash into 4 strips. Next I bolted them back together with 6 long bolts. Then I drilled a 3/8” holes in a staggered pattern 1-1/4” deep. This will be the stems of the plugs. Once all the 3/8” holes were drilled I used a 7/8” drill bit to make the crowns. I drilled down 1/4” in depth. 721_D1461_7331_4581_B996_37_F1_AF290_AF9

27_B0_B8_C0_4362_4_A18_A3_D1_F3268741_FC

DDD19_B6_B_A1_E5_466_A_BEB4_A293_F90_DAE

Next step was the recipe. I have some old clean sand in a bucket in the garage, and I managed to get some Portland cement from the bricklayers at work. I went with a ratio of 3 to 1. 3/4 cup of sand and 1/4 cup of Portland cement was enough for the mold and a few flat disc. I mixed all the ingredients in a empty calcium supplement container that I cut the top 1/4 off. I added enough water to create a syrupy consistency. This will allow any air bubbles to rise out of the mix. 1_CA2304_E_8601_41_E7_BDEC_A84_C4287_DAA

Now comes the fun part. I started scooping the mix into every plug hole in the mold. Once they were all filled I smoothed the surface and started to shake and tap on the mold to work out any trapped air bubbles and settle the mix in in every plug hole. Followed by a top off of mix to any low spots. Dry time is two days. 

And Shazam! Unbolt the mold pry the strips apart with a flat screwdriver, a few taps hear and there and a wiggle of the plugs and walla. 6_D6_CB32_B_D9_C2_44_B4_A38_F_CBE2_C3_D5

88700_E02_8_A18_4305_80_C5_55_A1_B906051

Let me know if you wanna try for yourself. I’ll be happy to give any advice about the process. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Reefaddict12 said:

That is so awesome! I' a big DIY'er and this has really spike my interest! Now I just gotta find a way to make a mold. 

In my research I saw some people use wood. I used the plastic cause it was available and was killing time at work. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SilentNight1793 said:

I have been on the hunt for large grow out plates (3" plate or larger) mainly for zoa's and paly's. It is hard to find anything larger than a 2" disk. This would be a great idea for those.

You could use the same mixture and use the bottom of plastic cups. Pour it in and pop them out.