My 90 Gallon Build

CzNik2

Painting is done both the Display and the sump.  A few pics of the sump (3 sides are painted) I wanted to keep the fuge light from over spraying light on everything as much as I can cut down...  I am debating on using Velcro on the back of the stand and putting a light blocking curtain back there...  Some have said when they use a more solid backing like plywood they get more humidity in the stand area and some of the hardware on the doors rust and possibly get mold...  With the light blocking curtain that would give more air flow and less humidity build up down there?  Any thoughts or other ideas on how that would work?   

image.png.25609296e885d36613f1bfde83ef9133.pngimage.png.13d84116dce61a24a785e72d4ef8f94a.png

• Like 1

Went to Walmart looking for 2 containers that would fit in my sump and be able to hold the Miracle Mud.  The Miracle Mud has to have 50% changed every year so doing it this way I can put 10 lbs in each container for a total of 20 lbs.... Pondering 25 lbs but maybe add the extra 5 lbs when I do the 50% next year and add that on top of the one that will actually be in there for 2 years?  I will be adding the Mud to the containers and cut them down so there isn't that much of a "wall" for the water to move around...  And I would have to consider if I added the 5 lbs to give me room for that too...  Come on Saturday I wanna spend my money at Premium Aquatics!!!!!!!!  http://www.premiumaquatics.com  

image.png.f608d8210dd4227aeda1b9e736606085.pngimage.png.da5861917089a97000d7656978b910cf.png

A HUGE Shout out to Luis (Gonzo620) for cutting out the baffles for my sump... I was able to spend New Year's day with him and his family and enjoying that gorgeous 180 he has...  I got home and was able to get the baffles measured and taped up and then I used Premium Aquatics black silicone to affix them to the aquarium...  I am def not the best at silicone but I wanted it to be thick so it would hold up just in case I didn't do it 100% correct... You can see the HUGE Smile on my face now that this part of the project is complete...  I wanted a larger fuge area but with my future skimmer with a foot print of 8x10 and my return pumps with a Marine Pure 8x8x4 inch block for the final chamber it ate up a lot of the 36 inch tank...  But I am VERY Happy with how this turned out and in huge debt to Luis for his help...   I am going to be in huge debt to a lot of you guys for all your help... It is MUCH appreciated...   

image.png.fbb882a604506cfdaedb3be64dea2a6a.pngimage.png.da87ad3542709a17ae0773657c6d9e10.png

• Like 3

Love chromis.  Feed them a variety of foods and provide plenty of hiding places and they will do well for you

• Like 1

Been working on my plumbing ... Got it pretty much done other than cementing it all together... The design was MUCH better than what I was thinking it was going to be... Pretty Simple and straight forward....

image.png.184db1b2240b2931266d90d5b14e5972.pngimage.png.d82eddf032e4f88222b9f43fb7ff833f.png

image.png.f76dfab4e15c9ded87a3d8da61a46276.png

• Like 2

I originally wanted BRS colored PVC blue with the Schedule 80 Grey fittings.  But that was going to cost me a TON of $$$  So I went to Menards and got the white Schedule 40 PVC and will be painting it with Flex Seal Spray Paint...  I am not happy with the Flex Seal spray paint...  It comes out in Globs almost like silly string...  I had to shake off the excess on this 90 deg angle... I have the 2 PVC Pipes in to keep paint out of the inside so I can cement it together...  I do actually like the dried finished results but it is VERY HARD to work with... I took the return PVC outside the other night and sprayed it but I was not able to shake off the excess like I did with this smaller piece...  so there will be runs and drips that I will have to cut off or just leave as is... The return that is on the back of my tank will ALL be Black to blend in with the painted apart of the tank to not be as noticeable... Anything that is viewable from the stand, the PVC Pipe will all be Flex Seal Blue and all the connectors will be painted Flex Seal Black...  I got the Black at Menards but was not able to find Blue so that was ordered on Ebay and praying it will be here tomorrow so I can get this project FINISHED!!!!  This will be my last thing to get done...  once the plumbing is cemented I will be able to put WATER IN MY TANK Next Saturday January 20th 2018!!!!  IF I had to choose again on the spray paint I think I would have not used the Flex Seal and chose Krylon Spray Paint...  I have seen a lot of people use it on YouTube and possibly would have been much easier to work with...  But If you all choose Flex Seal I would Test Spray it on something so you can get the idea how thick it comes out so you don't get a thick globby surprise...  

image.png.bb9c9e4c5b1503795b41ad161778f1f4.png

• Like 1

I went to Ryan's house last night to work on the Canopy.  It has to be cut and holes drilled for ventilation.  I have the ATI T5 ballast It has to have a slit in the side of my canopy in order for the hot air to exit on the left side....   And 3 Holes or a large rectangle to be cut in the top for the air to enter the ballast...  He was able to get the slit cut into it and some router work to make it look nice an fancy so it will appear that it was made like that...  I will get the slit stained with the same espresso stain that I used for the rest of it....  I don't actually need the canopy sitting on top to get my tank filled up I do have a 48" single tube florescent fixture I can set on top till I get this all set up...  

• 2 weeks later...

The plumbing for the BACK of the tank is painted and done... Its NOT the greatest paint job but its behind the tank so it wont matter... I will NEVER use Flex Seal spray paint again...

I painted that blue pipe while it was cemented in and couldn't change it...  But I hated the Flex Seal and stopped using it... So I sanded all the PVC to get all the printing off and now its completely white and looks nice so far...

image.png.1bd94b01f7b5318588c437865ef5d768.pngimage.png.7f234ce7fcc95aac956ef9df3331c361.png

This is how the Miracle Mud will look in the sump... I filled my 38 gallon sump up with Salt water to empty up my bottles to get more salt water for when set it up on Saturday....  I was not able to this past Saturday like I was planning... I ordered some Algae from Algae Barn before I knew I wasn't able to set it up but I have here in the sump with an old twin tube light strip...  Fingers crossed this will be running this coming Saturday!!!!  Thank God!!!  :-) 

image.png.dd6abf8f6621465403bc1f429c4f1dc2.pngimage.png.8edae9e13357ebc7ce80e6aabc4ba226.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Reefaddict12 said:

What type of overflow are u expecting to do? I see u have a control valve on both return lines. What is the purpose behind this?

The longest one is the Main Drain...  the shorter one I am using as a redundant in case of the main failing...  I have added shut offs to everything, both in and out line so I can control it all 100%... 

I would like to have had all the Cepex Ball Valve Unions but they are expensive and I only added the odd ball one last min...  But I guess one benefit I know which one is which at a quick glance and if I have to have some one maintain while on a Vacation I can explain it fast... Although as simple as it is Right and Left would work too HHAHAHA 

5 hours ago, EricReefer05 said:

Wow, that stand is beautiful! You'll defiantly have to post some more updates.

Thank you I like it much better than its original Oak coloring... but I have never re-finished anything before so I was a little worried about how it would turn out... But I appreciate that comment a lot... And trust me I will be posting as many updates as I can... :-) 

• 2 months later...

Brian, nice write up!!  I really like how this turned out.  I like the tip on painting the PVC as well...  I also want to avoid Lowe's grey PVC, but I don't want to spend the $$ on colored PVC.

• 4 months later...