Bean animal overflow never restarts

I did a 3 pipe 1.5" bean animal on my tank and the lowest pipe always lose siphon when return is off. So anytime I turn my return off I have to open the valve all the way up, suck the hose in the basement to restart the siphon, then then valve again. 

I THINK it has to do with the new fancy sump I installed, it has a PVC pipe I connect to and not sure that it is always submerged or what water level it needs to be so the siphon can restart on its own?

• 4 weeks later...

For the bean animal to be silent the output of the PVC needs to be below the water level.  On the other side it can't be so deep that the water column coming down the overflow cannot push the air out.  The recommendations are typically less than 1" under the water level for maximum results.  As for your case you may also be closing the gate valve too far to balance the siphon and the output is too restricted to restart the siphon.  I forget the exact number but I think the 1.5" can handle well over 3750gph at full siphon with a 24" drop.  If you are not close to this number you can still get it to work but the gate valve has to be very restricted.  Because of this the siphon will have a hard time purging the air through the small output.  I would recommend either increasing the flow through the tank to increase the water through that siphon or I would redo the plumbing in decrease to 1" - 1.25" plumbing to help maintain a stable siphon.  If you have to intervene every time the main pump turns off then you could potentially have a problem.  I know the other 2 overflow pipes should be able to handle the volume but you are basically excluding 1 of 3 drains at that time and its not functioning as designed.  I just set up a bean style overflow after much research and should be fine tuning it soon.  I too have 1.5" plumbing but plan on pushing 3000-5000gph through my tank/sump.