Refugium algae

So after vodka dosing I’ve killed off my chato. I’m wanting to restock, but I’m interested in possibly running a different algae. Or maybe a combination of. What kind of fuge algae is everyone running? What kind of algae should I stay away from? 

Have u pondered the idea of staying away from macro algae completely and replacing it with something else as a nutrient export?

If u do want to continue with using macro, I would stay way from anything that roots itself. Just because if any piece of it finds its way to your display it will be really hard to remove and usually by the time you see it, it will have rooted itself to a rock. If you have tangs they will normally keep it trimmed but some tangs wont go after it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reefaddict12 said:

Have u pondered the idea of staying away from macro algae completely and replacing it with something else as a nutrient export?

If u do want to continue with using macro, I would stay way from anything that roots itself. Just because if any piece of it finds its way to your display it will be really hard to remove and usually by the time you see it, it will have rooted itself to a rock. If you have tangs they will normally keep it trimmed but some tangs wont go after it.

I once thought about running a biopellet reactor, but never thought to remove the algae if I did start one. I was steered away from it due to its instability. Thought about a turf scrubber too. Was one of these what you were thinking?

2 hours ago, Gonzo620 said:

I once thought about running a biopellet reactor, but never thought to remove the algae if I did start one. I was steered away from it due to its instability. Thought about a turf scrubber too. Was one of these what you were thinking?

Yeah those would work. The purpose of Macro algae is to help reduce phosphates and Nitrates. There several mechanical types of filtrations out there now that will also reduce phosphates and Nitrates. You can get a phosban reactor to help reduce phosphates and you can tag team that with a marine pure block or the spheres in your sump to help with the nitrates. I recently pulled the plug on my fuge. I removed all d macro algae and deep sand bed I had in there and replaced it with some live rock and the marine pure spheres. I also added the phosban. Everything seems to be stable. I had some hair algae growing and it stopped completly and its starting vanish since I did this.

Also neither of these two options will can become unstable like the biopellet reactor.

I also added a phosban reactor to my wifes tank, reduced the lighting schedule and that weird stringy algae she had in her tank has vanished as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1