Need aquascaping advice/fish advice

brendan2u

Hey guys, I have gotten back into the hobby now that I have an apartment at IU. That being said I would like some advice for my 36 cube. I feel like I'm wasting tank volume with more or less a pile of rocks at the bottom that my kole tang and clownfish swim through. 3/4 of the tanks height is open water which neither of the fish really swim through. Any advice on how to make something taller so the fish will be attracted to the various heights and or different fish I can get so that the entire tank is being used? Wish I could have brought my 75!

• 2 weeks later...

I always find that pajama and bangaii cardinals as well as green chromis utilize the top third of the tank.  I have had good luck with them. I agree with Amanda.  I arch my rock.  It still doesn't reach the high point, but I kind of like having the top portion available for the top swimmers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used the e-marco cement to aquascape my aquarium.  You could use it to build a tower or something taller in the tank to better fill the space.  The cement is great.  It cures quick due to the accelerator and does a great job binding the rocks together.  I sued it to build an arch in my aquarium and the bond is strong enough to hold a 10-15 pound rock with no problems.

I will add pictures when I can; Currently the tank has an unnamed goby (got it for $4 back in the day; large and redish), kole tang, 3 bangaii cardinals, purple dottyback, wyoming white and black ice clowns. 

Also have a jack o lantern lepastria, frogspawn, bicolor hammer, bam bams, a rainbow nem that has been dying since the swap (stomach is out, probably the size of a quarter), alveopora, elegance, and maybe a few others. I will be looking to get more coral over break; I believe that my lights are too high as the parameters are perfect and I have not seen any growth. 

Specifically with the light problem; I have some type of algae (Calothrix?) that is going wild on my overflow as well as hanging off my skimmer... I will post some pictures later and see if anyone can ID. In the meantime I will manually remove and try to stock up on some macroalgae in INDY.