Queen Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

CzNik2

Hey Guys & Gals,

Outside of Falconry and Aquariums I also have an interest in Ants.  I have yet to get a true colony going but here is one that I think will be perfect.  I was at Brandon's house for Mays Meeting and after the meeting was over we were all sitting around his back yard and I noticed her walking around on his Grill Cover.  I grabbed her and as a gracious host Brandon got me a specimen cup and we put her in there.  I got her in a Large Test tube set up and it was only a day or so after that she started laying eggs.  She has laid 11 eggs so far and in the photo she has lots of them hatched and 3 are in cocoons now... 

Queen Ant1.PNG

• Like 2

Oh and BTW .. Thank you Brandon, not for the invite to stick around after I wouldn't have been able to find her... Although she was heading for your house and would have started a devastating colony inside your house and would have bore holes in all your wood making their home... and I saved you Countless Dollars in exterminators ... HAHAHAHAHAHA...

• Like 1

Wow we wondered what happened to that critter.  Covered in chocolate perhaps....

I think there is a big colony somewhere cuz I swear I've seen another one or two of those queens around here since then.  Pretty wild, so after they hatch do you make a glass shadow box and put sand in and dump them in or what?

• Like 1

Well, I have purchased from AntsCanada.com their Omi-Nest...  So once they have enough brood about 20 - 50 workers I will put them in there and it has an "outworld" for them to forage in... That is where you feed them and they explore etc...  I ll post pics as they grow... 

I too have always been fascinated (and entertained) by ants, other insects and spiders all my life. I found a black widow spider when I was a kid in Bedford Indiana. And a brown recluse spider in Noblesville.  A Carpenter ant is large ant. 🐜My question is,  How did you recognize her as a queen, was she huge in comparison? Be sure and post more pics. Thanks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kent12456 said:

I too have always been fascinated (and entertained) by ants, other insects and spiders all my life. I found a black widow spider when I was a kid in Bedford Indiana. And a brown recluse spider in Noblesville.  A Carpenter ant is large ant. 🐜My question is,  How did you recognize her as a queen, was she huge in comparison? Be sure and post more pics. Thanks. 

I was watching her walk on the grill cover at Brandons... Queens move differently than workers... and her size was HUGE she is 3/4 inch long...  But when I caught her on her Thorax is wing scars from where she had wings and broke them off...  After mating all queens remove their wings and you can see where they were attached...  Very few leave them attached... and YES I will be posting more pics of her on here... Ill put a pic of her against a ruler that I have...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...