xenia fuge

Thinking of running a 20 gallon xenia fuge. Currently I run  with macro algae with about a 1/4 of it xenia. I also have xenia in my display I was going to pull all of it and add it to my fuge. Thoughts on this has anyone local tried this. 

Xenia is a good nutrient export.  Newlin had a 75g fuge stuffed full of xenia and macro on his 200DD a couple years back.  Was pretty cool to see a 75g full of xenia doing the most of the nutrient export.  Gives you a visual idea of your pH depending on how fast it pulses as well.  Good idea!

Always wanted to try it. Xenia is one of the coral that I cannot keep at all. I've gotten "un-killable" stalks from people and it has wasted away in my tank and sump. Don't know what it is, definitely not lack of nutrients...

Well I think I will go for it. With what I already have started in the fuge and what I have in the tank. It will give me a good start. I think I will use egg Crete and cover with frag disk and plugs so I can harvest some. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Xenia is a good nutrient export.  Newlin had a 75g fuge stuffed full of xenia and macro on his 200DD a couple years back.  Was pretty cool to see a 75g full of xenia doing the most of the nutrient export.  Gives you a visual idea of your pH depending on how fast it pulses as well.  Good idea!

Brandon, I wasn't aware of the pH pulsing relationship, can you elaborate or know of a link to more information?

Thanks,

Scott

Interestingly enough, the GSP stays only on that right front wall, and the xenia never seems to move into that area.  The xenia does obviously dominate the rest of the tub though!