KH levels

If you get an odd reading, I'd recommend testing twice.  The kits we use are very sensitive and can give bad results.  Plus their accuracy isn't great in general with how sensitive you have to be with the titrant.

I also recommend testing every new bucket of salt you use after a solid mixing.

I bake baking soda to raise my ALK up and the BRS calcium for CA.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PaulS.46122 said:

I have been trying to figure out a best option for my nano tank that is mostly LPS.   Mine is just right around 7 dkh, in my 10 gallon.   Baking soda route?

I dosed ESV 2-part for years on my smaller tanks as mentioned above by folks.  You could get some and just manually dose a few ml's daily. The number itself doesn't matter that much, the ranges listed above are all fine, just keep it stable.  You can also dose too much and get a bunch of precipitate and buildup.  If you see that, you need to adjust, dose less at once, more flow around dosing location, etc.  I'd just watch my calcium and magnesium also and be sure that as you dose up, they are also stay stable and aren't increasing, as you could be over dosing.  When you find the sweet spot where alk, calcium, mag are relatively stable, you're good to go.  Don't aim for a specific number, IMO that gets you into more trouble.

Baking soda route is fine as well.  Look up Randy's part 2 recipe for ALK.   I would use part 2 instead of 1 since you have a smaller water volume.  You could also cut the dose to make sure you don't cause a spike.  I'd only raise up the ALK by .5 a day at most.

I use this calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html occasionally to make sure I am on target.

12 hours ago, Jaco said:

Baking soda route is fine as well.  Look up Randy's part 2 recipe for ALK.   I would use part 2 instead of 1 since you have a smaller water volume.  You could also cut the dose to make sure you don't cause a spike.  I'd only raise up the ALK by .5 a day at most.

I use this calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html occasionally to make sure I am on target.

:thumbs up:   I'm going to test my tank daily after the next WC to see exactly what is going on, and adjust accordingly.   Trying to avoid doing anything unnecessary.