Sign in to follow this  
dsdoyle

Livestock Introduction

dsdoyle    0

Hello,

I am looking for advice/opinions. I am thinking of stocking my 150g reef aquarium with the following:

1 – Blue dot/spot jawfish

1 – Lawnmower Blenny

2-3 – Smaller Blennies

1 – Snowflake Eel (IF I can find one that will not be aggressive)

1 – Zebra Eel

1 – Yellow Tang

1 – Powder Blue Tang

1 – Yellow Eye Kole Tang

1 – Purple Tang

1 – One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish

2 – Oc. Clown (bonded)

6 – Purple firefish

4 – Blue Chromis

3-4 – Basslets/Dottybacks (heard and experienced different things about mixing the two)

3-4 – either Anthias or Wrasse of some type

I understand about the bio load issue. I am asking about order of introduction and compatibility.

Any advice/opinion is great appreciated.

Have a great day,

Don

splix    54

Eels WILL eat:

1 – Blue dot/spot jawfish

1 – Lawnmower Blenny

2-3 – Smaller Blennies

2 – Oc. Clown (bonded)

6 – Purple firefish

4 – Blue Chromis

3-4 – Basslets/Dottybacks

You cant have eels with small fish.

I would do the least aggressive first, then lead up to the most aggressive. ie: do the firefish first and dottybacks one of the last.

3FordFamily    38

Snowflake eels tend to leave fish alone as they feed on invertebrates. I agree regarding zebra moray, however.

The powder blue should be added last, and if you wish to keep this species or other similar acanthurus genus tangs you'll need to wianratine and prophylactically treat all incoming fish with copper to prevent ich, as they cannot build resistances as other fish can. Roughly 95% of them die in "ich management" systems. Anymore, velvet is just as common as ich so this issue might well come in to play with any and all of your fish, unfortunately.

3FordFamily    38

Also, the blennies will not likely tolerate one another unless they're very different species with different ecological niches.

Some basslets and all dottybacks much the same. Dottybacks in particular, don't mix them. One basslet and one dottyback might work out fine. Basslets can mingle fine depending on the species.

The chromis do best in groups of 5-7 or more with frequent feedings. They slowly pick each other off even still, frequently. The fewer you have, the more this is an issue.

Same with the firefish-- you'll end up with one or a pair eventually.

Firefish, blennies, dottybacks, and some basslets are very similar in shape and they may or may not mingle together.

Dottybacks to avoid: neon, purple, splendid, and most others. Neon are particularly aggressive, towards everything. Orchid dottybacks are relatively timid for a dottyback but will not tolerate memebers of the same species, often. Their close (and cheaper) cousin the purple dottyback is touch and go - some start off nice and turn mean and others start off downright nasty.