GHA it's annoying.....

Joramilea

I would also add the auto shut off w/ float switch valve to the rodi. Otherwise you have to manually shut the water off and if you forget you risk the chance of flooding your house. Or keep rodi container in a sink so if it over flows it goes down the drain not on the floor.

I would also add the auto shut off w/ float switch valve to the rodi. Otherwise you have to manually shut the water off and if you forget you risk the chance of flooding your house. Or keep rodi container in a sink so if it over flows it goes down the drain not on the floor.

This is a definite must have... You will forget about the RODI unit and it will overflow your container.

The brs 6 stage universal plus is where it's at in terms of efficiency and total long term costs. The dual DI will allow you to use to it's full potential reducing overall costs in the long term. It also has basically everything you need to get running as far as connections go.

The dual carbon blocks are also nice especially if you have a water company that uses Chloramine, which most around here do. You'll get about 1500g of product water out of the system before those will need replaced if the levels are similar to mine from Indy. If ypu onky habe chlorine to worry about theyll last much, much longer. Theyll probably clog up before the carbon is depleted.

I've been running this system for a few years and its fantastic. It's fairly large so you have to plan for that but in terms if tco is the best I've ever had, I've tried a few different types over the years. The only thing I would say you could consider is a booster pump to boost production and generally get a better waste to product ratio. Its pricey though.

I have incoming tds of about 315, the 99% rejection membrane usually takes it down to 3 or 4. I can usually get a couple thousand gallons out of my DI before they both need replaced. It lasts me a LONG time even with a 100g and 20g system. One thing I do that drastically improved my DI life was install a 3 way valve off the membrane before it hits the di. Not only can I pull drinking water from this but I run it for a few minutes to bring the tds creep down that you get from leaving a system just sitting around after use. Instead of my DI getting hammered by 100+ yes water for a few gallons it rinses most of it out and saves a tremendous amount of resin.

The GPD really just has to do with how long you want to wait for water to be produced. There's a lengthy write-up I made some time ago in the education section with some of the math behind it all to give you an idea how to figure it out based on your specific setup and water quality.

I just made about 200g of RO/DI for the swap and myself. I burnt through maybe 1" on the resin in the first cartidge....they were pretty close to new. My water bill will probably go up about $8. I used probably 600-700gallons of water. Fortunately for us my sewer is fixed price but its also super high like yours. It's $60 whether I use no water or 100k gallons. The water company refuses to let the sewer company in brownsburg monitor usage to give estimated bills so they said ok screw everyone and you all pay 60. Don't like it, tell at your water company. It didn't do any good...

• Like 1

TONS of great information! Thanks everyone.

Do NOT drink the RODI water! Drinking RO water is fine, because it takes out disolved metals and large particle organice. But deionized("DI") water is not healthy for you or any pets (dogs, cats, reptiles, etc.). It's actually safe to drink in small amounts but drinking it all the time causes an imbalance in the ions (ca, mg, na) that can lower your immune system and cause issues. Testing is still inconclusive on how often you'd have to drink RODI water to have an ill affect, but for me it's also a price concern. If you're drinking from the RODI unit, that means you're using the unit more which adds to the cost of replacing filter and DI resin, so why pay more and take the chance of getting sick?

I asked cause I have a feeling my husband will ask and I want to be prepared with an answer!

The drinking RODI water comes up in every forum atleast once a year. So far I have survived 10+yrs of drinking ro and rodi water. My dogs have not died because of it either. You'll have a 50/50 mix of people who say its safe or isn't safe. You have to think about it in the fact you get your nutrients from your food, not your water. Sure if you sat around and only ate rice and rodi water that would not be healthy, but if you are drinking rodi, fruit juice, coffee, other drinks and eating a healthy or somewhat healthy diet you'll be just fine. I have heard people say if you only drink rodi that the water will start pulling ions and what not from your body.....i find this pretty funny personally but to each there own! I think people should be more worried about stuffing McDonalds, taco bell, cigarettes, alcohol, processes foods or non organic foods......vs pure water : )

Also growing up in Southern Indiana and seeing such a high cancer rate and such a polluted water source (Ohio River) its not just a coincidence imo. This is why i started with ro and rodi water, because I then knew what i was drinking.

Here's an article to fuel the debate: https://www.uswatersystems.com/can-you-drink-deionized-water

For me, its cost combined with the chance of negative affect. If I'm going to drink filtered water, I'm going to get a whole home RO system. Takes out the metals and such but leave in the minerals in ionic state. Same reason I don't eat fast food unless there really isn't another option at the time. Eat mcdonalds once in a while? Sure that's fine. Eat it all the time? Nope, not a chance. Drink RODI every so often? Yeah. Drink it on a daily basis or all the time? Nope. I'd rather find a natural artesian well an drink straight from that.

**Tries to close the bucket of worms she opened.**

So in the meantime ... Should I pull out the rocks I can with this green crap on them and scrub them with a med nylon brush in tank water that I have pulled out during a water change? :P

I got my filter ALL clean and I think I am REALLY going to start designing that 3 tank sump system for under my tank.

I think cleaning the rock is a band aid until you find the root cause of the algae. But that is the simple solution until then. A sump sounds grrreeeeaaaatttt!

I would really really like to see you get a tds meter on that raw water your getting from petco.

Ha! No can of worms. Just me giving Luke a hard time.

But if there are no corals on the rock with the algae, I'd take them out and do a peroxide bath on them. Scrub with an old toothbrush and rinse really well (maybe even let sit in old tank water for a day or two after). Peroxide loses its second oxygen atom after a short time in water so you won't contaminate your tank with it. H2O2 turns to H2O as it releases the second O and oxygenates the water. I've even been known to test in my reef with peroxide to no ill effects.

Ha! No can of worms. Just me giving Luke a hard time.

I can feel the love dripping from the posts! :wub2:

Ok, tomorrow I will get all set up to a bath for the rocks. The two pieces that have Kenya Tree on them will get a bath too. I have been meaning to move them to frag plugs. This gives me a good reason to it now.

The tds meter should be here tomorrow. I will be going to Petco on Thursday for my new babies (i hope they look good and come in) and I will take a jar with me and sample their RO water and test it. I am sure their RO Fresh and RO salt water all comes from the same RO machine and it's possible that it's just time for the filters to be changed. Cause I know I have used over 200 gallons of their water.

Guess what I have? and as soon as I have a min after lunch I saw I still have a 5 gallon jug of their fresh RO water.

**EDIT** oh never mind... It was my black light flashlight that showed up. But I did just get a text saying it should be here.

Ok, It just showed up!

RO fresh from PetCo came in at 15ppm
Flowing Spring Well in Carmel came in at 291 ppm

My fridge filtered water came in at 376 ppm (New Filter)

Tap water came in at 396 ppm

Guess what I am NOT drinking anymore. :P

I think I'll go back to drinking the spring water rather then what comes from Westfield.
When I go up to pick up my fish I'll ask if I can test the water again. The water I have has been sitting hiding behind stuff (forgot I had it) for almost a month.
It would be interesting.

So I need to be at 0-5 ppm to TDS when I get my own RODI system? I have a little savings jar set up so I can start saving. Figured I would get a really nice one since at some point I will have at least 2 tanks going. And I need to get that GFO/Carbon filter too.

I think your confused about the gfo/carbon filter. I don't believe there is such a thing. Your rodi generally has a carbon block, sediment filter, ro, di resin and sometimes multiple ro, multiple di, multiple carbon...etc. There isn't any gfo block though. I think someone said you could run gfo in your reactor.

As far as where you want to be with your rodi water, 0 tds is your goal. You should get a rodi that has a ro rejection rate of 95-99% efficiency and your di pulls out the other 1-5% which will allow your di to last a while.

Lower TDS doesn't necessarily mean healthy/more safe.. it likely is but not a guarantee. If you're bored have the samples tested one day. Might be surprised. Flowing well used to be a LOT better than it is now. I'm talking 20 some years ago before there were even any houses in the vicinity. I remember going there as a kid. All that was there were pipes coming out and a concrete pad around it with a sign.

• Like 1

i will say it taste and smells SO much better then the crap that comes out of my house pipes. I now they test the water out of the well regularly. The well was shut down for a couple of months. I have someone coming out to my house to look at the whole house RO system I bought over 10 years ago and haven't used in about 10 years. Paid a pretty penny for it too. Once that is done, I'll test my house water again. :) But I will still use a RODI system for my tank even if I get that thing back up and running.

**Edit** after all these years I found out it's not the system I was told it was. But that's ok. It's just a SUPER POWERFUL full house filter.
The company that I bought it from does sell RO systems for $499 but it only does 2 gp (perday?) that doesn't sound right. It has to be per hour yes?
and it's 4 chambers. I think I will look some where else for a system. :P

• 2 months later...