Submersible vs. External Return Pumps

If you had a choice between putting your return pump in your sump or putting it externally, which one would you do and why? Any general pros and Cons. Does one way compared to the other prolong or reduce the life of the pump? Let me know what your opinion is.

I like the idea of in the sump to save space and reduce possible leaks due to the extra fittings. I know i'd accidentally hit something then cause a sump flood.

I've also noticed most external pumps are more costly and made for bigger tanks, IMO.

• Like 2

Depending on the installation in the size of the aquarium dictates which one that I use when I build a system for somebody. With the newer DC pumps available out there it's hard to beat the energy consumption of the submersible pump. But a good quality one of those can exceed the cost of a good quality inline pump. I use reeflo pumps and most of my inline installations. I can run more than one piece of equipment off of a pump by Plumbing a manifold therefore reducing the amount of pumps I need to run the other equipment. So it's actually just a given taking a personal preference just whatever really suits you need.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice inputs! I have been looking at the new DC pumps and the two that I am looking at can be either be in the sump or externally. The two I have in my sight are the Ecotech Marine Vectra and the Sicce Syncra SDC. Both are very promising and the features are amazing. I do plan on adding a manifold so that I can supply other equipment using the same pump.

The pump I have now is in my sump and is just covered in coraline and other gunk that makes me feel like its deteriorating it. I would hate to reduce the life of a pricy pump like those by having it submerged in water. But I would also hate to have it outside and I bump in to it and crack my sump and cause a massive water leak.

Also, Space is not an issue for me. Im having a custom sump built so I can make it fit the pump dimensions if I decide to place it inside. Or if I want to put it outside I also have the room to do so as well. I would like to hear more from people who chose to have it externally and why.

In sump unless you need a powerful return for either a big tank or heavy lifting from a basement/remote sump or have a half dozen things you need to send flow to.

If it leaks, it's contained, they're usually more efficient and the good ones are nearly silent. I can't hear my 1073.04. The water movement is what makes all the noise in my tank.

You'd have to drill your sump, limiting it's usefulness for other things in the future (we always want to upgrade or change something it seems), have to devote some extra stand space for the pump, you'll also have another bulkhead and another plumbing connection to potentially fail.

Basically in this hobby keep stuff simple and you'll have far less surprises. If you have a particular need for something, do it and do it right, if not skip it.

The Reef has sound advice in the tank dictate the needed equipment with many variables involving plumbing complexity, pump efficiency, heat issues, sizes, etc.

• Like 2

External is my choice, not because of size but I like the options I can get. You can run a lot of auxiliary equipment with one large pump(shimmers, mech. filtration, UV. Now days VFD's and 3 phase motors are so cheap that you can use these as opposed to DC systems. This gives me the option to vary the flow as needed.

Internal pumps all the way, my aquarium is less then 20 feet away and I can hear my TV with out turning it all the way up .It is silent and it is a mag but I am looking to upgrade too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk