ISO Help to drill or borrow drill and guide to drill tank

After much discussion I have decided to drill a hole in the side of my frag tank for overflow. So before I go and spend money on a hole saw and guide to drill this hole I thought that I would ask the collective if there was someone in the Noblesville area that has these components that could be borrowed, rented or employed to drill the hole? If you are willing to drill it for me I would gladly pay you.

I would be looking at a hole for a 1 inch ABS Bulkhead, which if i read the chart right is a 45mm hole.

Let me know....

TIA,

Mark

Mark,

The first thing I would suggest is to get the bulkhead first. Then measure the outside diameter of the threads, just to be sure on the size. Depending on whether the bulkhead is sch40 or sch80, and what brand/thickness of the threads/day it was made/etc, can make a difference. The chart is usually correct but sometimes the bulkhead itself can be a couple of millimeters off.

As far as the drilling itself goes, I can show you how to make a guide instead of spending more money than you need to on a "professional" guide. Keep the bit and glass wet with cool water and let the drill put all the pressure on the glass, i.e. don't press down. Use tape (painters tape works really well) on the opposite side of the glass from the drill, this is important to catch the drilled piece of glass but also helps keep even pressure.

I should also mention to check the glass to be sure it isn't tempered.

I appreciate the suggestions.... I am an engineer by discipline of 35 years out of school so I understand what I am getting into. I have everything I need, bulkhead, than etc. Drilling a 40 breeder is not a problem, but as someone that owns a lot of tools, I know sometimes people do not like to lend them out, so the offer to pay someone seemed right. A drill guide is easy and not a concern. Just trying to minimize my expenses.

Thanks again for the input and suggestions. All are valid points.....

Mark

It's going to be tough to find someone with the correct size glass bit. They aren't cheap and most people aren't willing to pay for something that they'll only use once or twice. Plus, once the bits are used for a couple of holes it's usually a good idea to get a new one. The diamond coating will wear down and cause undesired pressure because of the extra force needed to get through the glass.

I have 3/4" bulkheads for my 40 breeder, and only have the bits in that size (1 1/2", or 39mm), but I could drill your tank for you if you have the bit for the 1 inch bulkheads. I've drilled quite a few tanks without incident so it doesn't really bother me at all. Don't get me wrong, there is always a bit of concern in the back of my mind but you get pretty comfortable after you've done it a time or two.

I can do it. I have everything needed. I've drilled all my tanks in the past. I just drilled my 125g a couple months ago with a new bit, which only has 2 holes on it's odometer so it's still fresh.

How thick is the glass on your frag tank? What size?

When are you wanting it done?