Testing

PaulS.46122

Salifert and Hanna checkers are considered the most reliable. The Hanna calcium I believe can be finicky though I have no personal experience with it.

I try and test weekly, not going to lie I get lazy and sometimes a month goes by. Don't get into the habit, especially in a small tank because things can go south quickly. Being you'll likely do frequent water changes on that size tank I'd make it a point to test before each one so you know where you're at. It's basic math to know where you'll be afterward.

To start a tank, i'll test Ammonia (API) and Nitrates every couple days to verify the cycle is over.

Afterwards, I test my Nitrates, ALK and Ca weekly since I am dosing. I'll test Mg about once a month. I use Salifert kits for all my testing.

Even though you won't be dosing it's still a good practice to test. Who's to say the salt mix isn't deficient in somethingv? Rare but it has happened. Jaco's testing regimen would cover the bases pretty well.

API is the big one to avoid. They have a terrible habit of being inaccurate at the levels we need to be at in a reef.

I downloaded the Aquarimate app from the Apple Store.

It resides on my phone and iPad, and offers a gentle reminder that it's time to... (insert any and all tasks) as well as records the results, flags out-of-bounds results and tracks trends.

Regretfully, it also allows you to track the cost of your hobby.

• 2 weeks later...