Macro Reactor

Kodiak66

Having macro plants in the sump can be frustrating due to spreading all over when it grows. So I thought maybe it's easier to contain and easier manitance so I used one of my media reactor for cheato only. I put waterproof flex led light strip around the reactor. I started with golf ball size cheato and it grew almost full and it's easier to trim from reactor. It stays contained and doesn't spread to my display tank.

4866f73731d0a6536db55ec9bf0fab5f.jpgfc585ea4ba25a036c78c35c2661d4c5e.jpg05c3bee324e25275ef8d5b8c67dee1e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks Rodney! I saw this in person before he put it in motion. Quite ingenious. Many of you know I had an outbreak of macro get into my display causing havoc. This is a great idea and worked amazingly!

Thanks for the write up and showing us!

I am using NextReef reactor MR1 (about 16 inches in height and approx 4 inch in cylinder)

As for LED flex Strip (soft white = 2700k to 3000k)

I set reverse lighting schedules with my display lighting systems. Reactor lights up at 9pm and off at 7am (should run 9-10 hours daily)

Definitely keeps things cleaner. I think I saw brs send out a diy video on this. Only thing I would question is the reactor vs sump pod population, but probably wouldn't matter that much. Good post!

As for pods.. my sponge on top of reactor is very loose and thin which pods can escape the outlet into sump/display tank. But keep macro/cheato at bay.

• 5 weeks later...