PaulS.46122

NUVO Fusion 10 Nano build.

I like it.  The controllability is awesome and hoping for good things.   Corals so far seem to like it too!  

I recently received a Hanna Alk checker as a gift.  Figuring alk was not as consistent as I would prefer in my little tank.   When I ran it for the first time I was shocked to see my alk was at 7.4.   First year it stayed pretty steady around 8.5 - 8.4.   I then thought the MG would be the culprit for being low   

Well I spent 2.5 hours with the tank this morning.   Running multiple tests, btw i need to get a mg and ca Hanna checker cause these drop tests suck.   The Hanna checkers are so easy to use!   Anyway tested the tank before a waterchange, new mixed saltwater, and after the waterchange.    Also did a big cleaning of the pump, return line, and rear chambers.    Flow is turned up to max on the Sicce 0.5 pump with the stock return nozzle.   Getting tons of flow now too!  May need to turn down the flow a bit, but we will see.   

So here are my results:

8-18-19

Pre-Waterchange Tank

MG 1410
ALK 7.3
CA 470
TEMP 78.4
SALINITY 1.026

Mixed Saltwater before Waterchange 

MG 1470
ALK 9.5
CA 490
TEMP 78.6
SALINITY 1.026

Tank after waterchange

MG 1440
ALK 8.2
CA 480
TEMP 78.4
SALINITY 1.026

It looks like my MG and Calcium are pretty steady but the Alk is dropping a bit more than I would prefer.   I’m thinking either multiple changes weekly or dosing.   Not sure I want to go the dosing route just for Alk but open to suggestions.   I think WC’s might be best for this tank.  

I’ve lost the zoas, but saved some others in the time being.   I’ve also had to move the Duncan lower in the tank as it wasn’t a fan of the new light.   

Still looking for a toadstool to put under the return nozzle.   Also a few zoas too    With the top of the main rock empty I need to find something to fill out that area   Maybe a birdsnest or bubblegum digi   🤷‍♂️

EE868702-28D6-45EE-8C41-B987ED865461.jpeg

003611C7-0849-4D64-8E2D-8EB6D5E070B7.jpeg

190340D3-C7B8-4035-B5F5-BD959D9EDA83.jpeg

FAEA1019-53FF-4990-9738-4FC0EB876A07.jpeg

Lately I feel my tank is missing something. I’m wanting this little tank to be nice and full eventually and I understand it will take time. So trust me I’m not looking for a quick fix. What I am looking for is a coral suggestion for the upper portion of my rockwork. The gorgs from @Budmanjust don’t look right where they sit and they have been moved behind the candy cane coral colony. They are doing fantastic and growing like weeds.  I had a Duncan up there but it has closed up and decided not to open again for almost two weeks now. So I have no idea what’s going on with it.

I’m looking for something with “height” to fill in some space at the top of the tank. My eyes tell me birdsnest, but my brain says “no man you don’t wanna deal with that”. See I don’t want to chase numbers, or dose. Ideally I would prefer just to do water changes and let it be. I also feel like my tank wouldn’t have enough flow for those SPS as I’m not running a powerhead, just an upgraded pump and spinstream nozzle.

I also want to stay away from anemones. Something about them give me anxiety. Afraid they will walk and sting everything.

I love euphyllia but have been burned before. Loosing all my torches to BJD. Something says a nice torch colony up top might look great but what could I put on the sides that wouldn’t get stung. I just feel like moving the blue and yellow hammers up top and filling out below them. Favias, zoas, something else?

Argh..... the trials and tribulations of a nano tank.

So what say you? What would you do and why? Lay it out and give me some ideas/encouragement. I love this hobby but just stuck with this moment in time with my tank.

You could do a nice toadstool, maybe a weeping willow. Pretty much indestructible and would give you the movement you’re looking for, although it may outgrow the tank in time.

24 minutes ago, chac317 said:

You could do a nice toadstool, maybe a weeping willow. Pretty much indestructible and would give you the movement you’re looking for, although it may outgrow the tank in time.

Yea I'm wanting to grab one of those, but not sure I want it at the top of the tank.

I understand the heart ache Paul. You know what would look amazing up there? Some yellow. I can imagine a nice Japanese Fat head Dendro. You could leave the gorg and put the dendro in front of the gorg slightly over the candy canes. They grow like a Duncan colony in shape. Hardy cause they’re NFS. just gotta feed it, but it’s high enough it should catch food daily from fish feeding. I got mine from POTO. here’s a pic of the colony mine came from. 109DCA76-9574-4AB1-975C-E80F86FB2E8E.thumb.jpeg.f06e155f389edbca2ab232aa8b217c04.jpeg

• Like 1

Dude that’s purdy!   I guess I just don’t remember seeing yours in your tank.   I’ll have to take a look next time I’m up your way.  

Hell I’ll be in Japan next month   Maybe I can do some LFS shopping   😂🤣

• Haha 1