NUVO Fusion 10 Nano build.

I was given a frag of green montipora spongodes back in early december, but it seems to be dying.   Its been slowly turning white over the past couple of weeks.   During my weekly water change, I removed it from atop the highest rock and placed it within a lower light area to attempt to save it.   Not really expecting it to live but if I can save it, coolio.  Still bummed about the purple torch, however the LFS I purchased it from received a couple last week and is keeping an eye on them for me in a separate tank from the show floor.   He told me that if they continue to look good, he will give me a deal on one of them.   I'm good with that! 

As far as the tank goes, its just chugging along.   I wasnt able to visit the Cincinnati frag swap but visited a couple LFS' over the weekend, but wasn't impressed with their coral selections.   I'm just going to let the tank be itself for awhile and when I come across something I really want, I will grab it then.   Completely content with just letting it be what it is right now.  Plus the view from the couch is pretty good.

0-1.jpg

0-2.jpg

I’m sitting here at home looking at my tank and I just don’t know what’s going on. Seriously baffled. The candy cane isn’t as fluffy as usual, hammer just looks blah, but most everything else looks normal.

Pulled my results from my last waterchange, yes I’m slacking it’s a few days past my usual scheduled change. Here are my results.

1-10-18

Temp 79.6
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.0
Nitrate 10 PPM
Ammonia 0 PPM
CA 450
Ak 8.6
Mg 1470

1-18-18

Temp 79.3
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.0
Nitrate 10 PPM
Ammonia 0 PPM
Calcium 420
Alk 8.3
MG 1380

I mean I have a drop in Calcium, slight drop in Alk, and a pretty decent drop in MG. However this is over a 10 day period. No change in lighting, or huge swings in temp. The torch corals have been next to the candy cane colony since March of last year. I just don’t see them starting to sting after almost a year in the tank. Am I wrong thinking that? Tentacles have brushed against it all this time with no effect.

I'm just kinda at a loss for words. Nothing sticks out to be a culprit.

I also bought a bottle of fuel over the weekend and dosed once when I fed Reef roids to the tank. That was Monday and everything has seemed blah since then. I’m not certain it is the fuel or something else going on. I’ve considered moving the hammer up top, to the bottom right of the tank behind the frogspawn. In its place maybe get a Frag of Red and Purple monti caps and give those a try.  I'm not sure though, the tank would look "bare" in that area again if I did that.

Contacted Jeremy down at Modern to see if he had any peppermint shrimp on Wednesday morning.  He did and held one for me.  Put him in in hopes he would take care of things. First look of the tank when I got home last night showed that the aiptasia has been taken care of. He’s just chilling now under the main rock with the candy cane pistol and Yasha Goby.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a few frags this week.  A couple from Modern and three from @Gonzo620 today.  👍🏼

The haul this week includes:

Purple/Orange tentacle Torch

Yellow Brick Road Zoa’s

Orange Ricordea

Duncan

Mint Pavona

Now I need a few more Ricordea to create a Ricordea garden and some encrusting corals for those spots that I need a bit more splash of color.

0C2C2F0B-9E58-4C01-AF9D-8ABE322B096A.jpeg

ACED3BBB-5FD6-4595-BCD3-1B308184A06B.jpeg

Visited @Budman over the weekend, admired his well established tank, and his current frag tank.   Brought home a little Gold and Green Ricordea frag for my ricordea garden.

https://instagram.com/p/BfpBtrgB2rX/

Picked up this purple/gold torch from Jeremy a couple weeks back, and last week it really did not look great.   Thought I would loose another again and was really starting to worry.   Well happy to say my torch is really starting to turn the corner. 

https://instagram.com/p/Bfrld2RBAG9/

Also my little Yasha Goby decided to show himself off last night before lights were out.   This little goby has an awesome personality. 

2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, ryansweet said:

Looks great Paul. Heck of a nano, and I like the coral selection. What colors are you looking to add? 

Thanks I appreciate that!

I would like to add some more reds, oranges, and blues.   Possible purple and pink colors as well.   I feel my tank has covered the green spectrum.

I’m running out of room..... and I added 3 more frags tonight.  :crazy:

Hard to see the color here, but these are two corals I’ve been searching for since I started   A gold torch, and a blue hammer   Yep more Euphyllia, but more color too.   They have been dipped and now to settle in overnight while the lights are off.  

thankfully im only planning on picking up some zoa’s saturday.  They don’t take up too much room. ;)

ABC708E2-EE1E-46C3-9696-0708FB64E1A1.jpeg

C87AFFA0-8789-407E-9D6F-2BD27C044B49.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a small box of Reef Crystals last week and planning on seeing what, if any effects it has on my tank over the next month of water changes.   Currently use IO salt in my tank.  If it has a positive effect on my tank I'm most likely going to make the switch to reef crystals.   I've noticed a small dip in CA, MG, and Alk over a week period, and hoping to correct this with salt.   I'm still trying to stay away from dosing if at all possible.  Below I have posted my latest results over a week period, testing with salifert test kits.   My belief is that all of my euphyllia are the culprits to the depletion of elements over that week period.   My tank doesn't have much coraline, so corals are my next point of focus when trying to pinpoint this small issue.   I have noticed some stalling of grown in some of my hammers, and a couple just look like they are hanging on.   One hammer for instance just doesn't inflate as much as it once did in the same spot it is now.   Could be something else, but I'm not going to throw everything at it at once, because that may just cause more issues.   If I loose a coral or two, so be it.   My acan's also just look blah (see photo below), and I'm not sure what the hell is going on with it.   I removed it from the plug a couple weeks back and it just never looked the same.  :/   Everything else is happy as a clam, the trumpets seem to sprout a new head weekly, same with my zoa's.   I have to admit, as I get further into this hobby, the desire to remove some corals, and focus on others have crossed my mind multiple times.    Is that crazy to think/say?

I contacted the other salt mix suppliers in the business and no one had a small box/sample to try out, so that's why I'm going the RC route.   In my opinion I'd love to see these brands offer something up to consumers to allow them to purchase and sample their product to see if it works with their system.   To me its not cost effective to purchase a large supply of salt to try it out.   If it has negative effects on my tank I'm stuck with said salt mix.  

Did my first waterchange with Reef Crystals Friday evening, I will update as soon as I find something out.  

3-23-18

Temp 79.6

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.0

CA 450

Ak 8.6

Mg 1470

3-30-18

Temp 79.8

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.0

Calcium 420

Alk 8.3

MG 1380

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that my corals have seemed happier/fluffier since using reef crystals two weeks ago. I've also noticed my alk and ca levels are not dropping like they were with the regular IO salt. Other than that, nothing has changed. The tank is on autopilot, and thriving.

[IMG]

[IMG]

1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...