80 gallon shallow

chac317

Update time:

I had plans to upgrade to an 8x3 tank I’m sure many have seen on the for sale section. But as life goes that was looking more and more like it would not be able to happen anytime soon. So I’m pivoting to a reboot of this tank. Things are still humming along but I’m ready for a new look. I’ve placed an order with Lee at Aquarocks for a large centerpiece rockscape. If you haven’t heard of them I can not recommend him enough. I already have a magnetic branch piece and love the look. I will be parting ways with most of my current live rock pieces to make room. As soon as he sends me a pic of the finished product I’ll be sure to upload it here. He makes them all custom but the piece I based it on looks amazing. 

I have been been toying with new lights as well. I currently have an 8 bulb t5 fixture with 2 blue reefbrite strips. Since I am transitioning to a more zoa dominant look I have been looking into replacing that with LEDs. Changing out 8 bulbs for zoas seems a bit tedious to me. I am looking into 4 AI primes just for price factor. I looked at the xr15s but for the same price as 2 of those I could get 4 primes and have double the led pucks. 

And after months of just letting things ride and not messing with the livestock I have started ordering coral again (the fun part)! I recently received a pack of 13 zoas from another reefer and have a higher end pack coming tomorrow with the following: hyper jubilee, bowsers, bowtie blasters, candy apple reds, pink diamonds, Valentine’s Day massacres, bbebs and white zombies. Got a heck of a deal and couldn’t pass that up! I will post pics of the pack tomorrow. 

Long winded but I am excited for the “rebirth” 

Thanks Brandon! I’m definitely excited. 

Here are couple shots from tonight with only the reefbrites. I’ve got a pretty good growth mat in the bare bottom so I’m excited to start moving stuff onto the rock again when it comes. 

Thanks Brandon! I’m definitely excited. 

Here are couple shots from tonight with only the reefbrites. I’ve got a pretty good growth mat in the bare bottom so I’m excited to start moving stuff onto the rock again when it comes. 

70F26F2D-47DA-45D8-A2AC-D2ABB75A2AA6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got the new rock piece in the tank tonight. Got a few more in the mail as well. I’m still working on clearing more space as I don’t like this just flat in the middle of the tank. I still need to move a lot of the frags onto the branches but I had my hands in the tank long enough tonight. I like how it is looking so far and hopefully the frags moved will settle in quickly. Here is a couple pics tonight with the reefbrites only. I’ll try to get some daylight pics tomorrow to better show the fixture details. 

CC132362-8C3B-401C-8135-E1FB6B2D5FD8.jpeg

A3DCB3B9-8310-42CF-B824-3DC1337A4822.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Oh nice that is not an easy find!  Do you have any white light pics of your new rock piece

Here are a couple with the 4 of the 8 t5 bulbs still on (2 blue + and 2 actinic). I’ll try to remember to get one with the coral + bulbs on tomorrow during daytime. 

21470D48-8377-4482-A60C-64FDB84AA3B1.jpeg

2108B2BF-46EC-46DE-AC3E-FDFC87930197.jpeg

• 1 month later...

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Universal-Photography-Speedlite-Balance/dp/B00QN48X0Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=gel+filter&qid=1575552430&sprefix=gel+filter&sr=8-4

something like these, maybe these exact same ones. I lost the box and only use the orange but it came with many shades to choose from. 

1 hour ago, MrsBugmaster said:

Which one are you using?