80 gallon shallow

chac317

Official birthday of tank upgrade was 9/18. I upgraded from the innovative marine 40 gallon when we bought our house. This is our first time owning a home and I'm excited to not have to worry about moving tanks every time our lease is up. I'll try to attach a pic of the setup as of today. I pretty much just threw everything in since my sps were getting ticked as I tried to form some semblance of an aquascape.

As of now I've lost a small part of my Hawkins colony, about 90% of a tort, a red planet and....my fox flame frag is starting to rtn 😔. That one stings the most. But all for the sake of overall tank progress

A couple specific shots, shot with iPhone so I apologize if they are sloppy. Just got my iPhone 7 (supposedly improved camera blah blah) so it may just be user error :lol:

Bubble Tip Rock and fish

^^ Fish group shot. Only current fish are black clown pair and ORA Black Neon Dottyback (he's kind of hard to see he is in bottom right of pic)

Hawkin's

^^ One of my favorite pieces that I hope recovers, ORA Hawkins colony. It is not too happy with me at the moment.

Pink Lemonade (background) and Yellow Slimer morph (foreground)

^^ Pink Lemonade in background, Yellow Slimer in foreground. I think circular frag at bottom is pink lemonade too but I am not sure.

Cali Tort

^^ Cali Tort Colony. An ORA frogskin was growing over part of it at one time. I thought that was cool. See green patch.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by modern today. Picked up a couple wild sps pieces, a PC Rainbow and a Secale. Also grabbed a sunset monti on a disc to start the looooong process of putting encrusting corals on the bottom to cover the glass. I'll try to get pics up of the new additions when the daylights are on. The blues at night wash out my iPhone camera.

Side note, emptied the skimmer cup tonight. Good lord that was the foulest skimmate I have experienced. That sucker skims! My wife almost kicked me out of the house when she saw me rinsing the cup in the kitchen sink 😳.

• 5 months later...

Short clip 3/29

This thread has been neglected for months life got busy. Here is a short 5 sec clip from today. Tank has pretty much been on auto pilot.

Some of the blues on one of my Hydras went out. Can't really tell in the video but the left side of the tank is "whiter" during full daytime hours. Unfortunately, I contacted AI and they don't sell replacement parts for the original Hydra due to its age. So it may be time for new lights. Unless anyone knows anything about leds maybe I can just open up the fixture somehow and do some tinkering.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so does anyone know how to tinker with LEDs? My blues (not sure if Royal or Deep blue) on of my my Hydras went out and the two tone look of my tank is driving me nuts. They quit making the Hydras so Aquaillumination wants to just have me pay to upgrade to the Hydra 52 but I'd rather just fix the problem LEDs and keep what I have.

First fish pic is under the Hydra fixture with no issues. Second pic is under the one with the blue LEDs out. Same time of day. The spectrum difference is pretty obvious.

Yellow Acanthurus Tang

Black Neon Pseudochromis

And full tank shot from today. Lefty is the problem light fixture.

FTS 4/14

• 1 month later...

So I switched the lighting up a bit to an 8 bulb tek with 2 of the biotek B5 led tubes and then 3 blue plus and 3 coral plus bulbs. So far so good and I'm digging the much more even spread I wasn't getting out of my LEDs. 

Also grabbed up a 4 pack from Adam at Battlecorals and that should be ready to ship next week. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok corals came in from BC and it was also water change day so I tried taking some iPhone pics and adjusting with the SnapSeed app to attempt to edit out the blue. It may be time to invest in one of those top down acrylic boxes as my camera skills are pretty weak.

Hard to tell but Secale is bottom left, June Ruby is Northeast of it, Shades of Fall is to the right of that, and Goldilocks is above those two.

And some other random shots of coral in my tank that were not totally washed out by the lights.

• 5 months later...

Definitely has been a minute since I’ve updated this. Tank is humming along. Lost some sps randomly, parameters seemed in check, no sudden swings of any kind but I guess stuff happens. Finally got around to installing two brs dosers so I don’t have to manually dose every night. Also just got a pack from R2R in today. 2 out of the 6 arrived with some rtn spots so we will see how they do. The stag and wwc yellow tips are the ones that arrived in rough shape. Top left and bottom left. Other pieces are Hawkins, rr Wolverine, Yellow Tort, Aqua sd rainbow Milli. 

C4C21F67-2E5F-4F3B-9DDF-F271371A2A13.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...