Cyano Is The Devil

Dustin1300

I've had a couple mats that like to develop along a few spots in my rock on the regular but for some reason yesterday when lights came on things were overtaken. I'd say about 30% of my rock has some on it and bottom of frag tank is blanketed.

• Flow is strong all around (Gyre on frag tank and 25-30k GPH on main tank)
  • Nitrates - .5 - 2.5
  • Phosphates - .04 - .06

Only real change I've had over past month is starting to dose Amino Acids again with AcroPower. From my notes I started at about a 77 mL/week dose on 7/23 and ramped up to 92 mL/week dose on 8/21. I've been doing a lot of reading yesterday/this morning on Hydrogen Peroxide dosing at a rate of 1 mL/10 Gallons of water every twelve hours (before and after lights are on) for 14 days.

Anyone have experience with doing this?

• Like 1

Following, as I have seen cyano creep in as well.

I dosed the chemiclean treatment with very good success the last time it really sweeped into high-growth mode. That one treatment seemed to knock it back into what you are describing as your baseline, but not get rid of it completely.

I have never dosed peroxide, but coincidentally picked up a bottle last night to try a dip/bath for a frag rack that keeps re-growing algae around the plugs.

Looking forward to hearing about other people's experience.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I just posted something similar to what I posted here on R2R to twilliard who has done a lot of research this year. Casting a wider net and will share info from both sources of info. I like getting local club advice too as I know who everyone is;)

Ordered ~4 liters of peroxide last night. (3% solution)

Ive dosed vodka and seen a reduction/elimination. maybe it was the large amount I dosed. ive not had the problem for awhile now. I only dose vodka when it pops up.

Adam just had a problem with it and tried a lot of things. I don't remember what his final fix was

I hate this stuff! I fought it in the new tank for probably 4mths off and on. In the end i tried peroxide, lights off, chemiclean, water changes, carbon....etc. The only thing that worked for me was chemiclean, skimming wetter than normal and time, and alot of turkey basting.

FWIW, i don't care what people say about peroxide, it will kill your shrimp.

The route I have taken is also with Chemi-clean but I dose once for 2 -3 days and than dose again without a water change. A single dose would knock it back but eventually it would reappear. Very frustrating. Going with a second consecutive treatment seemed to have a far greater impact. (Gone for six to eight months now).

• Like 1

I hate this stuff! I fought it in the new tank for probably 4mths off and on. In the end i tried peroxide, lights off, chemiclean, water changes, carbon....etc. The only thing that worked for me was chemiclean, skimming wetter than normal and time, and alot of turkey basting.

FWIW, i don't care what people say about peroxide, it will kill your shrimp.

I don't have any shrimp in the system. Really the only inverts I have are starfish and snails. What dosage and duration did you do on your tank? (Read your thread already from last December?)

Ive dosed vodka and seen a reduction/elimination. maybe it was the large amount I dosed. ive not had the problem for awhile now. I only dose vodka when it pops up.

Adam just had a problem with it and tried a lot of things. I don't remember what his final fix was

Multiple does of Chemi-clean seemed to do the trick for me.

I don't have any shrimp in the system. Really the only inverts I have are starfish and snails. What dosage and duration did you do on your tank? (Read your thread already from last December?)

If you don't have any shrimp then i wouldn't be to worried and don't see it hurting anything. From my understanding its almost like ozone injecting. What i noticed was clearer water but i didn't see any real change in the cyno. I dosed based off the R2R posts i saw, can't remember what but it was some ml per gallon formula.

Also to note, twillard really is into this hobby full throttle but you can't take his comments as bible. On R2R he's really admired but on RC he's treated as an experimental clown

Here is a tip from Todd that worked for me to find out whether I had cyano or spirulina (both types of bacteria but two different kinds of treatment).

Take 2 cups of tank water out of your tank along with a portion of the "red mat" from the tank and add 1ml of 3% peroxide. If you have cyano over the course of an hour or two the cups of water will turn a pinkish color. If no color change then you have spirulina. If pinkish color then cyano.

Cyano = 3% peroxide treatment

Spirulina = chemi clean treatment

If you have spirulina (which I did) the peroxide treatment won't touch it.

I've had both cyano and spirulina and this is the best way to find out what you have. I've also had a nasty 9 month case of dinos and finally got that out of the tank. I dosed peroxide in the tank (heavy sps/lps/softy stocked) for roughly 5 months with no loses so it is safe as long as you don't overdue it.

• Like 2

What were your long term dosing amounts? Were you performing water changes? . Just saw shipment arrived on peroxide, so I will test tonight. Sent from my Galaxy Note 7 using Tapatalk.

I started with 1ml per 10 gallons 1x per day. So I have 450 gallons total water volume which meant I put 45ml SLOWLY into my sump in high flow over the course of 2-3 minutes. I reduced my white lighting schedule on my lights and ran more heavy blues during the treatment time (again I was battling dinos which love light so this may not apply as much to you). I did not perform any water changes during treatment. You'll notice a HUGE drop in your ORP measuring when you start dosing peroxide. Don't be alarmed as it will slowly recover within 8-10 hours to the normal amount.

I ended up working up to a 2x a day dosing schedule every 12 hours at 1ml per 10gal. So for my instance, 90ml of peroxide spread split out to (2) 45ml doses every 12 hours. This along with a lot of other factors is what finally kicked the dinos for me. If you just have cyano you may be able to get by with a 1x per day dosing schedule and see how that does for you. If it does not kick it at least you know dosing 2x a day can be done as a last resort.

Happy to provide more info as it was an awful battle but thankfully was able to overcome dinos, cyano and spirulina.

That all helps and

I started with 1ml per 10 gallons 1x per day. So I have 450 gallons total water volume which meant I put 45ml SLOWLY into my sump in high flow over the course of 2-3 minutes. I reduced my white lighting schedule on my lights and ran more heavy blues during the treatment time (again I was battling dinos which love light so this may not apply as much to you). I did not perform any water changes during treatment. You'll notice a HUGE drop in your ORP measuring when you start dosing peroxide. Don't be alarmed as it will slowly recover within 8-10 hours to the normal amount.

I ended up working up to a 2x a day dosing schedule every 12 hours at 1ml per 10gal. So for my instance, 90ml of peroxide spread split out to (2) 45ml doses every 12 hours. This along with a lot of other factors is what finally kicked the dinos for me. If you just have cyano you may be able to get by with a 1x per day dosing schedule and see how that does for you. If it does not kick it at least you know dosing 2x a day can be done as a last resort.

Happy to provide more info as it was an awful battle but thankfully was able to overcome dinos, cyano and spirulina.

That all helps and want to hear others experiences. I'm surprised by your ORP drop as I thought the whole reason for this being effective is the redox factor and its ability to raise oxygen levels.