Let's talk Dehumidifiers

Jaco

Our 30 pint GE is approaching two years old and is done for and needs to be replaced. The compressor seems to be failing.

What has everyone had luck with? It looks like the Frigidaire is the best from my quick search.

Thank you.

I just had to buy a second one this last weekend. My basement is too big for one 30 pint, it was not cutting it, LOL Anyway I have a 30 pint LG that's been running great for 2 years now. Just bought a 50 pint GE from Home Depot that so far is doing a great job.

I plumed mine into a drain, much like Dustin I had issues with it draining properly so I build a small stand and over the past 3 years mine has run without a hitch, Since mine is in my fish room I built the stand to be able to store a 5 gallon bucket under. I have had a idus, as well as a Frigidaire. The Idus is super loud I would avoid them. I hooked mine to my apex and had it timed to run 3 times a day usually when I am not at home or while I am asleep after realizing that the compressor was turning on and off throughout the day when the humidity dropped.

I plumed mine into a drain, much like Dustin I had issues with it draining properly so I build a small stand and over the past 3 years mine has run without a hitch, Since mine is in my fish room I built the stand to be able to store a 5 gallon bucket under. I have had a idus, as well as a Frigidaire. The Idus is super loud I would avoid them. I hooked mine to my apex and had it timed to run 3 times a day usually when I am not at home or while I am asleep after realizing that the compressor was turning on and off throughout the day when the humidity dropped.

Thanks for idea, might have to check this out.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 7 using Tapatalk.

Best to keep this in mind when you buy a dehumidifier. I let a new one sit 24 hrs before plugging it in. There's no way of knowing how they've been stored prior to your purchase. Who knows, possibly upside down.

"Dehumidifiers consist of a compressor, oil, refrigerant, refrigerant tubes and valves. The oil keeps everything in the compressor lubricated. When a dehumidifier is turned on its side, the oil in the bottom of the compressor runs into the unit's refrigerant tubes. Once you turn the dehumidifier on, the compressor will try to compress the oil instead of the refrigerant and it can't. Damaging the unit."

• 2 weeks later...