My first tank build

So I promised my wife I'd finish the garage before I took up this hobby and I'm nearly done so here we go.

This is my first attempt at an any aquarium and I figured I'd start a thread to document it. Please feel free to offer advice/constructive criticism, I've been reading about the hobby for about 3 months now but if anything the decisions haven't gotten any easier. My goal is to have a light to medium bio-load of peaceful fish and if I can maintain the proper environment for them I'd like to add some LPS. I prefer a clean and simple look.

Here's what I've come up with for so far:

Tank: 75 (48x18x20) or 80 (48x24x16) gallon Deep Blue reef ready rimless. Leaning towards the 80 because I'm not so sure about having the overflow in the middle. I also can't decide between taller versus deeper.

Stand: I'm going to build my own. I enjoy woodworking and am looking forward to the project.

Sand: Live sand, not sure of the substrate size but I would like to have a sand sifting fish or two and possibly a burrowing wrasse. I don't want a deep sand bed, I think I'd like to keep it fairly shallow but not sure the minimum depth that would be appropriate. I'm guessing 1-2".

Rock: Dry Pukani rock, maybe a live one or two put in for the cycle but I'm not too concerned about a multi-month cycle. I'm more interested in being able to take my time modifying and shaping the rock into an aquascape that looks relatively natural but also interesting (arches, caves and shelves).

Skimmer: Looking at Reef Octopus 150 int 6" and a Skimz Monster SM161. Not sure about these, pretty sure I want an internal skimmer though.

Powerheads: Thinking two MP40's, I like the low profile and how quiet they are. Not a fan of the price.

Return Pump: Looking at Sicce's Syncra Silent 3.0, Eheim's 1260 Universal and Waveline's DC2500 HP

Heaters: Looking at Eheim's Jager and Finnex HMO heaters. Will probably have two so one can be a back up. I'm pretty nervous about heater failure.

Lights: I want LED(s), I like the Kessel AP700 but getting a bit of sticker shock, especially if I need two.

Sump: Don't know what to get. I plan on having some form of auto top off and I'd like to have a macro algae refugium but I can't tell much difference other than dimensions and the ability to adjust heights on them. The stand will be fit to the tank with a 3-4" decorative ledge so I've probably got about 36" of length to work with (want to keep some area for dry goods, controllers and wires).

RO/DI: 75-150 gallon per day

Random equipment: Test kits, refractometer, specimen container, net, grabber claw, containers for water changes, tubing and PVC with fittings/valves

Fish wish list (wrasses are the only ones I've really dug into so far so it will likely change over time):

Flame Angel: I know it's a risk for coral but I really like this fish

Fairy wrasse: Yellow-fin or Lubbocks

Flasher wrasse: Lots to choose from, looking at Carpenter's, Blue, Filamented, Yellow-fin, Line-spot and McCosker's

Sand sifting goby

Pair of clowns

Yellow eye kole tang: I like the look, but I'm nervous about their susceptibility to disease

A few chromis or a basslet: I've read they don't get along and that chromis are a heavy bio load. Can't decide between the two.

Maybe some cardinals

Clean up crew:

Can't decide between hermit crabs or snails

I'm assuming that the fish list is too big but I'm really just now getting into looking at each of them so it'll go down with time. My concern is not having a completed list before introducing the first fish and not introducing them in a good order. I do intend to take this slow though and spread out my expenses so I've got time to decide.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes together and would appreciate what advice you might provide.

John

Welcome to the club! My advice which you can take with a grain of salt is depth over tall all day. Jäger on the heater, vortecs are nice, any of those returns are fine, the octo 150 is a better fit but look at the reefbreeders skimmers or simplicity line at premium. Light wise I've never been to keen on kessil's as they just don't have the intensity. Cheaper alternative would be something like sb led's.

Welcome!

Looks like you got a good plan going.

As Luke said, I would go with depth over height also. Attend as many monthly meetings as you can as this will give you ideas on what to do or not to do.

I would add a quarantine system too. They are a must IMO. This does not need to be an expensive set up. Tank, heater, powerhead and a hang on back filter with a cheap light. Most items can be picked up used for cheap.

Looking forward to the build.

Looks like a good list!

- I'd go with 80, better dimensions

- Heaters, go with two undersized heaters. i.e. 2 X 150 Watt heaters. If you have a failure and it gets stuck you don't boil the tank! Also, controller is nice insurance to have a second mark to turn off heater. Also, go with Jager, nothing compares and have had a lot of the main brands.

- Lighting - Agree with Luke, I don't like the Kessil. They are so dim and you have much better options out there.

• Like 1

I'd suggest 2 mp10s. 40s would be super strong on a tank that small. And the reef octo skimmer is great for that size. Or a bubble magus curve 5 Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Weird. I was searching forums about flow for 75 gal tanks and a lot of people suggested the 40's, might be geared more for SPS's though, not sure. One concern I have with smaller would be if I had to run the 10's at a higher speed shortening their life and increasing noise.

Looks like a good list!

- I'd go with 80, better dimensions

- Heaters, go with two undersized heaters. i.e. 2 X 150 Watt heaters. If you have a failure and it gets stuck you don't boil the tank! Also, controller is nice insurance to have a second mark to turn off heater. Also, go with Jager, nothing compares and have had a lot of the main brands.

- Lighting - Agree with Luke, I don't like the Kessil. They are so dim and you have much better options out there.

Thanks! I would like to get a controller at some point but it would likely be down the road after I've absorbed the sticker shock of everything else.

Welcome!

Looks like you got a good plan going.

As Luke said, I would go with depth over height also. Attend as many monthly meetings as you can as this will give you ideas on what to do or not to do.

I would add a quarantine system too. They are a must IMO. This does not need to be an expensive set up. Tank, heater, powerhead and a hang on back filter with a cheap light. Most items can be picked up used for cheap.

Looking forward to the build.

Thanks, I'm excited to start soon. I have been studying the quarantine tank a lot. Everyone says to use one but it's funny when so many say they don't actually have one of their own (not suggesting you don't, just what I've read). What I'm torn on is what size to get (thinking 10-20 gal), where to put it in the house and whether I'd run it all the time or only when getting ready for a new introduction. I do intend to have prepared RO/DI and saltwater storage for emergencies if I don't run it 24/7.

Should be fun. Remember that some quality lights will hold up much better, and that LEDs draw less power, and you wont be changing bulbs (justification for awesome tech)

Yeah, it was either going to be LED or metal hallide for the shimmer effect. I don't like the idea of how much heat the hallides put out and I'm not interested in the bulbs being a part of the ongoing consumables. I am also conscious of how much I'm putting on the one 15A circuit I have in my office. I'd like to keep it low enough to not have to bring in an electrician.

brendan2u has a 75 gallon with a stand and a light he paid $1200 for that he's selling for $600 for all Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the look of rimless and my impression is that his is a drilled standard but I'll ask for some more info. I've been debating buying used to get into the hobby, but I'm torn between saving some money up front and having to replace something sooner (possibly). I also kind of like picking out my own and getting new, the sticker shock has made it hard to pass up the price of used though.

Welcome to the club! My advice which you can take with a grain of salt is depth over tall all day. Jäger on the heater, vortecs are nice, any of those returns are fine, the octo 150 is a better fit but look at the reefbreeders skimmers or simplicity line at premium. Light wise I've never been to keen on kessil's as they just don't have the intensity. Cheaper alternative would be something like sb led's.

Thanks! I didn't even consider the 80 gal one when I first saw it because it was advertised as a frag tank and I didn't understand the differences. After going to Modern Aquatics I really liked what I saw. I'm really leaning towards this if I don't buy used.

I've noted all the recommendations that people have mentioned and intend to do some reading and thinking about things before I spend any money. Thanks for all the help everyone.

?? On my 250 i have 4 mp40s and flow is super strong, run all on full blast. Mostly sps though, it cannot support any low flow fish.

1 mp40 in a 75 i think would be good. But if u want 2 (1 on ea side) I'd suggest the 10s.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

For lights i HIGHLY suggest the ai hydras Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Those are in line with the style I'm looking for and they're the compact LED packing. I read that gives more of a natural shimmer as opposed to the disco ball effect.

• Like 1

?? On my 250 i have 4 mp40s and flow is super strong, run all on full blast. Mostly sps though, it cannot support any low flow fish. 1 mp40 in a 75 i think would be good. But if u want 2 (1 on ea side) I'd suggest the 10s. Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Good to know. Smaller is cheaper at least, I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I'd do 2 40s personally so they are not dialed all the way up. Rather than having regret have more flow, dial back a little off needed, and have significantly less motor noise. The motor noise can be high in a living space. I don't have the newest generation of QDs but my 40s and 60s are loud when ramping at 100%'

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have 2 40's on my 170 and would like to add more flow. You can always dial back. I think Jeremy has 2 10's on his 80 display that has SPS in it. The new QD's are silent. They are in my living space and you cannot hear them at full speed.

Sand-mixture of course to fine. Maybe small area of clean rubble as burrowing fish and sifters will love it. Deeper is better when choosing a tank. Aquascaping will be btr and will give you more depth and done right the tank will look larger than it is.

On sand I'd honestly not waste your money on "live sand". Pick up some of the following, you won't be disappointed: https://premiumaquatics.com/products/tropic-eden-reeflakes-grand-select-30lbs.html

It will stand up to the flow and most of the "live sand" I'm aware of is smaller and not the type of sand I've ever wanted in a high flow tank.

Noted on the live sand. Was just thinking of it because I was going to primarily use dry rock. I like the look of some of the bare bottom tanks I've seen but I like the sand sifting gobies better (going to go with the extra cost and upkeep instead). Appreciate the tips guys.

I'm researching fish on my lunch breaks, I'll update the wish list in a day or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I've finally put together a short list of the fish I'm thinking about. Please let me know if you see any issues with the quantity or incompatibility between them. I haven't put too much thought about the order of introduction yet so feel free to comment on that as well.

Wrasse:

Cirrhilabrus Flavidosalis "Yellow-Fin Fairy wrasse" or Cirrhilabrus Jordani "Flame Fairy wrasse" (need to pick one)

Paracheilinus Lineopunctatus "Linespot Flasher wrasse"

Paracheilinus Cyaneus "Blue Flasher wrasse"

Halichoeres Melanurus "Hoeven's wrasse"

Halichoeres Chrysus "Yellow wrasse"

Goby:

Valenciennea Puellaris "Diamond Watchman Goby"

Clownfish:

Amphiprion Ocellaris "Ocellaris Clownfish" mated pair

Dwarf Angelfish:

Centropyge Ioricula "Flame Angelfish"

Centropyge Bispinosa "Coral Beauty Angelfish"

Undecided on these:

Chromis:

Black Axil Cromis or Blue Green Chromis (probably 3 for a "school")

Anthias:

Pseudanthias Dispar "Dispar Anthias" or Pseudanthias Ignitus "Ignitus Anthias"

This would lead to 10-14 fish in an 80 gallon tank with a 30 gallon-ish sump. I have a feeling that's too many and I'm okay with dropping the anthias and the fairy wrasse. I like the chromis but if I have to have 3 or more I might have to drop them as well. I welcome your feedback.

List looks good. Here are a couple recommendations:

- Both angelfish can get coral happy and I've not had much luck with them. I've had both a flame angelfish that was perfectly fine for nearly 18 months and then got the taste for SPS polyps.

- Chromis schooling is unlikely. With an 80 you might be left with 1 as they like to kill each other. I had 30 and within three weeks was down to 3 as they killed each weak link:(

Agree with above, chromis will kill off each other till 1 is left,

Both angels you have 50/50 chance of them eating coral,

Anthias need to be feed 3 or more times a day, so if you get them eating pellets then you can use an auto feeder,

I don't have any experience with wrasses, but do know that "Fairy and Flasher" wrasses are good choices.

• Like 1

That's good to know about the chromis and I'd heard anthias need to be fed a lot. I'll take adjust the list down to one chromis and should probably just take the anthias off as I can't be sure they will be taken care of enough on my long work days.

Regarding the angelfish eating sps, I'm not that interested in sps, I was thinking more about softies after I've proved to myself I can keep the fish alive. Has anyone had experience with them nipping at those?

Also, is anyone concerned that 11 fish ranging in the 3-5 inch range are too many for an 80 gallon tank? I've been looking around and there isn't much of a good, consistent answer other than it depends on the fish.