Sump setup

Siddiqui5

57c8a24367b028589f1a585b4c09a85e.jpg

Hi guys. Newbie here. I wanted to get some feedback on the sump setup. So I did usual 3 section setup with skimmer, refugium and return pump setup in the 30g sump. It was good But I hated the waste of space on top of refugium area and decided to make a top section which will drop water into skimmer section and then to refugium and then return. I can use this for extra filtration or can add small bucket to keep extra live items etc. See pic for detail. This is for 75g display tank with fish only for now. Working good for now. Thanks!

First off, you doing that yourself being new to the hobby is impressive.

I know it's too late but if you were to do it all over I would make the baffles higher to utilize more of the tank volume. Sumps are all about maximizing volume.

Get rid of the bioballs and sponge things, it's not doing anything at all. I love the idea though. I would put a bunch of marine pure blocks there to maximize the effectiveness of the space. They're basically live rock just super compact.

Might want to move the return section heater over to the skimmer section. Water in the return section is probably leaving too quickly to become heated well. It's working but you might find more stable temps if your heaters are in the skimmer area, at least I did.

Do yourself a huge favor and get an Auto top off. Trust me, it should be listed as a vital piece of equipment to reef tanks, even more than the skimmer. It'll stabilize your salinity and sump levels.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...