McCullock clownfish at Uncle Bills?

lrood

I was at the NW side Uncle Bills yesterday & saw some tiny (approx 2cm) clownfish listed as McCullock's at $54.99 apiece. I never had the chance to track down anyone to check on their pedigree. I know DFS did raise some, and also shipped eggs to ORA to raise as well, but these were pretty limited numbers. I remember when DFS listed a pair for $6000 not too many years ago! Has anyone else seen these, or know where they were sourced?

Man, wish I was in Indy just to go see them! Send pics when you get your pair Ken. Definitely cool clown, but mean as all can get out (even worse than maroons). That's the part that I think has made them unpopular and dropped the interest in them overall. There have been some discussions on these over at the MBI site and the status of the 5 original pairs collected is unknown as Ryan has dropped of the face of the earth it seems. Very sad as the 5 pairs could have been enough to build a genetically viable captive population. It can still be done but it will be more difficult. A positive that showed up is that Darren Nancarrrow from Austrailia has obtained a wild origin pair. I told him he is required to ship some here to the US. :)

Daniel, I won't be getting any. They look better as juveniles, and imo are just a muddy color as adults. That and the bad attitude make them a deal breaker for me. And I've also read that they can be hard to get to pair up too. If I get over there I'll try to grab a photo for you. I would rather raise some latz as they are more visually appealing to me, but again can't really dedicate another tank at this time.

John, is the cap clown the leucokranos (white cap)? I didn't see those.

Mmmm, Latz. Now that's a nice clownfish too! I would love to have a fully barred pair. Not sure if Karen Britain will breed more. Hopefully so but with her success on $20k+ angelfish I can understand where her time would be focused. :) As far as I know she is the only breeder who has been able to get the full wide middle bar. Interesting you say the Mcc's are muddy. I was picturing jet black but now I zoom in and saw where that might be a little less "jet". And yes they are hard to pair and prone to unpairing also.

Latz are being bred again although not by Karen it seems, and John (sedgro) got a pair about a month or so ago. They disappeared from the lists for the last few weeks, but just showed up again this week from one supplier. The leuckokranos were also available captive bred this week as well.